Gun Modifications

By Luddite, in Game Mechanics

Gun modifications

Currently you can only have one per weapon. This seems a bit odd as, for example, it’s not then possible to have a sniper rifle fitted with a telescopic sight and a suppressor (silencer)!

Perhaps this needs looking at?

We’re running with a houserule that says you can have 1 Sight fitted and 1 ‘Modification’.

Gun Sights (1 of these):

Motion predictor

Photo Sight

Psycience sight

Red dot laser sight

Targeter

Telescopic Sight

Gun Mods (1 of these):

Backpack ammo supply

Expanded magazines

Melee attachment

Suppressor

Custom grip

Reinforced

Counter-weight

Omnissian sanction

Vox operated

Suspensor

Edited by Luddite

This sounds like an excellent idea. You could even go further and have a range of locations, for example, scope, body, barrel and other, which other for stuff that you could have any number of like backpack ammo and suspensor.

Generally the only question with this sort of thing is balance vs realism. What you're proposing is certainly more realistic, but having only one mod adds an element of balance. Do you think you'd want to change anything to deter people just always getting as many mods as possible (other than the requisition difficulties)?

Edited by Naviward

Good point, I think. When I thought about weapon mods, I divide all the mods for ranged weapons to sigths, underbarrels and structural ones. Luddite describes sights perfectly except I moved red-dot to underbarrel category (I know that would break the rule that shooter can benefit from one sight effects a time but I simply restricted my players to use red-dot and any sight effects simultaneously)

Underbarrel attachments were: melee attachment, red-dot, exterminator and extra grip (gone in 2nd ed). You could only have one of them for a weapon.

All the other upgrades fall into a structural part. I allowed 2 of them for a pistol, 3 for basic and heavy weapons. For compact pistols there were only one structural and no underbarrel upgrades allowed. None of my players wanted a compact basic or heavy weapons so i didn't write rules for them (think about only 1 place less for structural upgrades, leaving a slot for underbarrel improvements).

These rules were made quickly but satisfied our party and removed many questions (and yes, some of my players were the weapon geeks).