Is there a point to AP?

By Sir Biscuit, in Game Mechanics

Even light armor gives enough damage reduction that the vast majority of weapons cannot actually pen over the total reduction value. Is there a reason why we still have AP, when it could resonably, in 90% of cases, just be a straight addition to damage, and reduce the amount of on-the-fly math in the game?

I don't think so, especially since we also have the Melta and Armor-Piercing weapon qualities.

The major problem with AP is that Armour uses the same reduction system as TB. On top of that it's much easier to reduce Armour value than TB. Therefore TB is always better than Armour and Damage is always better than Pen.

There are many ways to solve this problem. One would be i.e. to double damage reduction from Armour after Pen. That would make both Armour and weapons with pen more important.

The major problem with AP is that Armour uses the same reduction system as TB. On top of that it's much easier to reduce Armour value than TB. Therefore TB is always better than Armour and Damage is always better than Pen.

There are many ways to solve this problem. One would be i.e. to double damage reduction from Armour after Pen. That would make both Armour and weapons with pen more important.

Okay, I like this, if the weapon doesnt penetrate on hit, it does half damage. This would make armor viable as a solution instead of max toughness