Burning

By Saldre, in Game Mechanics

Hey!

Burning needs a boost.

Its sort of great the way it is now, except that people can safely ignore it for a while.

Not to mention that there's no mention on whether or not this damage gets "soaked" by armor or JUST TB like the previous edition.

I propose that people can act while under fire as long as Burning (X) doesn't exceed their WP bonus. When it does, they start Rolling WP, and -10 for each level of X thats higher than their WP in order to act normally and not run around screaming like little girls.

Hey!

Burning needs a boost.

Its sort of great the way it is now, except that people can safely ignore it for a while.

Not to mention that there's no mention on whether or not this damage gets "soaked" by armor or JUST TB like the previous edition.

I propose that people can act while under fire as long as Burning (X) doesn't exceed their WP bonus. When it does, they start Rolling WP, and -10 for each level of X thats higher than their WP in order to act normally and not run around screaming like little girls.

Very interesting proposition, particularly the part about WP.

The idea of a roughneck IP fighting while burning, with dozens of mooks running around screaming sounds great.

Regarding armors, it burning is to ignore it, I'd recommend a caveat that some armor can take, it. Ceramite, fluffwise, is used particularly for this, as it is " especially heat-resistant and effective against energy-based weapons"

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Ceramite#.UfqZC9Kzego

Yes we tried out a test of the adeptus ministorum character's flamer today, and couldn't see anywhere that burning ignored the defences. So it was 8 turns of being on fire before a character was even taking wounds. Even if we did ignore defences it was 3 turns before anything bad happened to them and another 3 before they died. And most of the time they were able to move around quite happily.

Yeah I like your idea,

I like the fact that you don't need to roll WP tests every single turn while a character is on fire (this slowed down our game immensely when the party cleric bought inferno shells for his shotgun), but I also like the idea of a character's WP affecting his ability to ignore the flames. Maybe a character becomes Dazed (only 2 AP per turn) when the value of Burning exceeds their WP bonus? I know I would find it very hard to fight effectively while engulfed in flames :D This way, they take a serious hit to their effectiveness if they try to ignore the flames for too long, but players aren't burdened with extra die rolls.

Edited by Covered in Weasels

That's a very good idea- enough actions to clear away your flame, but if your completely crazy and want to use them for something else, that works too.

And less stuff to roll is always good in my GMins book- especially less stuff that makes players unable to act and skips their turn.

2Ap if Burning exceeds your WP is a great compromise- especially if "medium" weapons get a rate of attack of 1/2, or can only attack once by 2 expending 2 ap. .

I was thinking about DH 2.0 while water skiing this weekend (because why not) and another huge Burning-related consideration popped into my head: Burning now stacks, so it gets much more powerful when multiple party members have flame weapons. In DH 1.0, being on fire was a binary condition -- you were either engulfed in flames while dying in agony, or you weren't. Because of this, there was little incentive to pack multiple flamers in the party, since the designated heretic-burner could set them all alight single-handedly. Now a party of four Acolytes could each turn a flamer on a single enemy, quickly ramping their foe up to Burning (8), plus any additional Burning caused by crit effects.

I still feel that Burning as a whole needs a boost, and giving a sufficiently immolated character the Dazed condition seems like a good start. However, if Burning becomes too debilitating a group of Acolytes could gang up on a single Master-level boss and take him out of commission in a single round.

I still feel that Burning as a whole needs a boost, and giving a sufficiently immolated character the Dazed condition seems like a good start. However, if Burning becomes too debilitating a group of Acolytes could gang up on a single Master-level boss and take him out of commission in a single round.

I can't help but notice, however, that despite not being well-balanced, it makes a lot o sense in terms of - using the word very broadly - realism.

Yeah, honestly if your acolytes can manage to surround your BBEG with flamers and unload on him, I'd say it's reasonable that he goes down (assuming he isn't somehow resistant, due to environmentally sealed armour, supernatural defenses, or something).

I admit that when I read this post I immediately pictured five Sororitas wielding flamers surrounding a Daemon and having a go at him and the word"awesome" came to mind.

Except maybe for meltas, I can't think of a deadlier strategy.

My biggest problem with Burning is that the test to remove it clears all ranks of the condition. Bookkeeping/survival wise, that is good, but its just annoying to think that something suffering burning 10 can just remove it all in a single test.

As it is now, I see the greatest strength in Burning coming from how it stacks. That a flamer (or multiple flamers) can be fired over the duration of a combat. That the Energy damage type already has a base tendancy to cause Burning. Obviously forcing the enemy to deal with it kills their economy of actions, but its still annoying to see all that work lost in a single roll.

IMHO :) :

1. A Willpower test (-20) to actually do anything except trying to put out the fires sounds very nice. It worked great in the old rules anyway.

2. Mental Fortitude talents should allow to make the test easier: Nerves of Steel, Iron Discipline and Jaded each giving a +10 bonus for the test (up to +10 in total). Fearless / From Beyond perks should allow to pass the test automatically (as the (N)PC becomes either inspired or deranged enough to ignore demands of its flesh and instincts, if only for a time).

2. If (N)PC decides not to put out the flames, they continue to devour his flesh unopposed however, and so (N)PC adds +1 to his Burning condition per every Action point he used during that turn (on anything except putting out the flames, of course).

3. Also, every DoS on Agility test done to combat the flames should remove 1 level of Burning and each DoF - increase the level of Burning on +1.

Edited by Erborn