d% Engine Failure

By Brother Orpheo, in Game Mechanics

The fact that it is possible to have more DoS than DoF does not balance- the current maximum DoF is 10 (target number 02 or less, to an absolute minimum % chance of zero, rolls 100), while the maximum DoS is >10 (such as target number 132 rolls an 01, where the top-end target numbers have no absolute limit...but the d% does). This is why d% game mechanics gradually break down- once target numbers exceed 100 the opposition must be on par or there is a distinct and pervasive lack of both balance in game play and Player challenge. The most effective ways to remedy this is with Characteristic caps of 70-75, possibly as high as 80, and by disregarding target numbers over 100.

I might just mention there was no real need to confuse the masses by changing the dice-reading convention a third time. However, I did so in my own games: DoS = tens digit + 1; DoF = 10 - tens digit. This promotes the concept of the target number actually being a "target", the center of the bull's eye (so to speak). It is also mnemonically superior to the latest official convention. A balance of 10 DoS/DoF.

In the event of a tie when comparing Opposed Tests, the highest d% result wins.

The only "break down" occurs with weapon Jam target numbers- a conciliatory hiccup that results from weapon rules, easily overlooked.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

This seems to be like something that DOES need to be addressd and I agree with it at 100%-

Stat caps is necessary, adding BC/OW's unnatural stats would fix that up for some of those monsters that "deserve it".

Edited by Saldre

This seems to be like something that DOES need to address and I agree with it at 100%-

Stat caps is necessary, adding BC/OW's unnatural stats would fix that up for some of those monsters that "deserve it".

You got it straight out of the gate, Saldre! (applauds)

The Unnatural Characteristics Trait in BC/OW further defines DoS/DoF, an excellent representation of the benefit of having one (or more) Unnatural Characteristic(s). Unnatural Characteristics also do not affect the actual d% roll in any way- UCs are divorced from dice rolling. These are exactly the reasons I use this mechanical convention.

Edited by Brother Orpheo

Even in their admittedly flawed early incarnation, Unnatural Characteristics were a vast improvement over the previous d% systems by GW. I've seen characters in WFRP 2e running around with effective 100% Weapon Skill, and it wasn't fun or balanced.

Returning to potentially completely uncapped TN values is a huge, huge step backwards. I'm feeling like I'm actually reading a ruleset that was created somewhere between WFRP 1e and 2e, not a second edition of the latest incarnation of that engine that was constantly improved throughout five different iterations.

I know some people are going to groan, but please read me out...

HarnMaster uses a d% game engine. Though the game is extremely comprehensive (some might use the words "unnecessarily complicated") it makes use of a d% system that requires no special rules considerations for target numbers greater than 100 for the simple fact that 100 is as good as it gets. That's as it should be in a game system with a d% engine.

Edited by Brother Orpheo