Talent/Psychic Power Trees

By eldath, in Game Mechanics

First off, I have not yet had a chance to read or test the game properly I will be honest. But from what I have read so far, I am disliking the tree system intensly.

I see no reason to have the talents so organised, I completely understand that there must be checks and balances to stop people from just loading up on the really good ones but why can't they simply have attribute and rank pre-requisites.

Why should I have to buy two talents I may have no interest in just to get Step Aside, when in DH 1.0 I could purchase it straight off so long as I was the right rank. This I think will limit the individuality available because everyone who wants defence talents will have a lot of the same ones instead of just ones that make sense for them.

The Psychic power trees are worse, I once ran a fantasy game using a variation of the Babylon 5 Technomagic rules which had spells set out in a similar way (pre-requisites and requiring to have the lower level effects), the only thing this did was unecesarily bloat the mages spell list and cost points which were limited already.

I will be looking more closely and I hope to have a better handle on the newer parts of the system soon.

E

I have a bad feeling that somebody liked idea of talent trees in Edge of the Empire and mechanicaly used them in DH2. Maybe if we could get rid of their connections and just used more rigorous prerequisites? Or put them into more sensible order, General Talent Tree is worst offender here as it is making almost no sense, Mental Fortittude should also be scrapped or at least divided into Mental Fortitude AND Warp Affinity trees.

In the Astra Telepathica table were discussing Mental Fortitude and Splitting it up into two-

One Insanity/Corruption/Psychic Power resistance tree, and One Psyker tree which would be available with the Psyker Elite advance, replacing the Untouchable Elite advance in terms of space [That would just be a static state], as a Psyker's power can evolve and change, but an untouchable should be "born without a soul." can't lose what you don't have "more".

I see no purpose for talent trees.

Keep a few Talent/Power prerequisites, but otherwise allow them to be free-floating.

I see no purpose for talent trees.

Keep a few Talent/Power prerequisites, but otherwise allow them to be free-floating.

This, doubly so considering we don't actually get a lot of Talents. I foresee a lot of very uniform builds.

I would be inclined to remove the lines, leave the characteristic prerequisites and add a rank prerequisite. Either that or increase the cost, perhaps even chance the costs and have the Talents work the same as characteristic/skill costs and give the characters a multiplier for each category of talent.

E

I would be inclined to remove the lines, leave the characteristic prerequisites and add a rank prerequisite. Either that or increase the cost, perhaps even chance the costs and have the Talents work the same as characteristic/skill costs and give the characters a multiplier for each category of talent.

E

I almost forgot the reintroduction of ranks, this could actualy solve the problem of getting "powerful" (my Cadian Sergeant in OW was ok with fearless at the game start) Talents too soon, just give them rank prerequisite.