Chapter II: Character Creation

By FFG Andy Fischer, in Proofreading Changes

Welcome to the proofreading changes sub-forum for the Dark Heresy 2nd Edition Beta.

In this thread, you can list any proofreading changes you find in Chapter II: Character Creation.

I used red for emphasis.

Grammar

Page 19

Rolling Characteristics

"Inquisitors do not chose their Acolytes at whim."

Should be

"Inquisitors do not choose their Acolytes at whim."

Grammar -maybe

Page 20

Life on a Feral World

"...reflexively makes the sign of the aquila "

Should it be?

"...reflexively makes the sign of the Aquila "

Should Aquila be capitalised

Grammar

Page 20

"For example, a feral world could be little more than a alien wilderness..."

Should be

"For example, a feral world could be little more than an alien wilderness..."

Grammar

Page 21

Feral World Characters

"Many feral world characters took up arms for the Imperium and later used the skills they have learnt in the service of an the Inquisitor."

Should be either

"Many feral world characters took up arms for the Imperium and later used the skills they have learnt in the service of the Inquisitor."

or (more in context)

"Many feral world characters took up arms for the Imperium and later used the skills they have learnt in the service of an Inquisitor."

Spelling

Page 21

Life on a Forge World

"...reactors built into the world’s moulten core..."

Should be

"...reactors built into the world’s molten core..."

Spelling

Page 26

Sample Hive World: Hive Krakex

"A huge edifice that pierces the polluted skis of Hulee V..."

Should be

"A huge edifice that pierces the polluted skies of Hulee V..."

Spelling -maybe

Page 27

Sample Shrine World: Ossuar

"...and herd the many millions of faithful throughout the labyrinthian walkways within."

Should it be?

"...and herd the many millions of faithful throughout the labyrinthine walkways within."

Grammar

Page 28

"...writhing in the dark like the Warp lurks below the void itself, waiting and watch for its moment to surface."

Should be

"...writhing in the dark like the Warp lurks below the void itself, waiting and watching for its moment to surface."

UK/US Language difference

Page 40

Sample Imperial Guard Background:

"...and has breached impassible fortifications..." is correct in US English

"...and has breached impassable fortifications..." is correct in UK English

Grammar

Page 47

The Role of the Desperado

"A Desperado’s skills with people can allowing him to obfuscate inconvenient truth into a more useful resource."

should be

"A Desperado’s skills with people can allow him to obfuscate inconvenient truth into a more useful resource."

Clarification

Page 48

Desperado Characters

"...or even break free to sail the void stellar marauders."

Should be

"...or even break free to sail the void as stellar marauders."

Spelling

Page 50

"...or flaming volcanos ."

Should be

"...or flaming volcanoes ."

The example for calculating skill cost is wrong on p 59:

Then, multiply this number by the skill’s current rank to arrive at
the cost for the skill advancement. For example, if raising
a skill from 2 to 3, and modifier is 150, the total cost would
be 300 ( 3 x 150).

As I read it, it should be (2 x 150).

Under Acquire Additional Equipment , p.59,

"An Acolyte can select a number of items up to his starting Influence bonus value from the Armoury that have an overall Availability of –10 or higher."

Is vague and implies that the total Availability modifier of all the equipment must be -10 or higher. I suggest,

"An Acolyte can select a number of items up to his starting Influence bonus value from the Armoury , each of which can have an overall Availability of –10 or higher."

UK/US Language difference

Page 40

Sample Imperial Guard Background:

"...and has breached impassible fortifications..." is correct in US English

"...and has breached impassable fortifications..." is correct in UK English

Impassible and impassable aren't region-specific versions of the same word. Impassible means incapable of feeling pain/suffering/emotion. Impassable is the correct term, meaning not passable.

Impassible and impassable aren't region-specific versions of the same word. Impassible means incapable of feeling pain/suffering/emotion. Impassable is the correct term, meaning not passable.

Thankyou for pointing that out. I was only aware that if I type in Word one is correctly in US English and the is correctly spelt in UK English. And no Thesaurus entry for Impassible. US is not my first language.

Either way it would be...

Wrong Word

Page 40

"...Sample Imperial Guard Background and has breached impassible fortifications and forced tank formations..."

Should be

"...Sample Imperial Guard Background and has breached impassable fortifications and forced tank formations..."

Edited by Tygre

BELOW THIS POST HERE BE BETA 2.0 PROOFREADING STUFFS

The starting options have inconsistent phrasing. Ministorum characters get "Hand flamer or warhammer and stub revolver," while Guardsmen (literally the next page) get "Lasgun or laspistol & sword". Use the word 'and' all the time, or use the ampersand all the time. Don't mix them.

Also, Ministorum characters get "Weapon Training (Flame or Low-Tech and Solid Projectile)". The grouping here is unclear - is the choice 1 talent vs 2 talents, or (flame or low-tech)+(SP)?

Voidborn don't get their own PDF bookmark? What are you guys voidist?

Psyker Special Rules, pg. 62

"To do this, the character spends an amount
of experience equal to 20 multiplied by his new psy rating
value. For example, to increase a character’s psy rating
from 2 to 3 would cost 600xp (3x200)."

It's 200. But hey, at least the equation 3x200=600 is correct.

Table 2-9: Divinations (Continued), pg. 57

68–71 A suspicious mind is a healthy mind. This character gains the Heightened Senses (choose one) talent.

Heightened Senses doesn't seem to appear in Chapter 4 Talents.

Psyker Special Rules, pg. 62

"To do this, the character spends an amount

of experience equal to 20 multiplied by his new psy rating

value. For example, to increase a character’s psy rating

from 2 to 3 would cost 600xp (3x200)."

It's 200. But hey, at least the equation 3x200=600 is correct.

I suspect it should read "..experience equal to 200 multiplied.." as it is repeated in the psychic power section section

On page 64 the talent Soulless Aura under effect doesn't specify how far the range is,

[bold]Effect:[/bold] Enemy characters within WPB of the untouchable..

Should it read;

[bold]Effect:[/bold] Enemy characters within WPB in meters of the untouchable..

Someone pointed out to me that the Warrior ability needs clarification. It reads, "...after making a successful attack test, but before determining hits,..." This could be at a couple points in time and it changes a lot depending on how you read it.

If you read it as "well, I rolled a 10, no idea how many DoS that is but I'll spend fate...", that'd be silly, but that IS "before determining hits".

If you read it as "well, I only scored 1 DoS, so I'll spend a fate to make it 5", then you open up the problem of "Oh, the mook dodged it anyway. Fate wasted. Sadface."

If you read it as "I scored 5 DoS, but after the mook's dodge roll I'm down to 1. I'll spend a fate to make it 5", then you have essentially a binary pass/fail dodge check (which wouldn't be terrible in this situation).

Which it is needs to be very explicit.

pg 51: "There are nine aptitudes that share a name with nine characteristics each character possesses"

Another leftover bit from OW. In DH2, characters have ten characteristics (one of which has no corresponding Aptitude).

The Outcast ability Never Quit (p. 37) should be revised to fit the new Fatigue system. Maybe they count all their characteristic bonuses as one higher when determining when a characteristic becomes Fatigued?

On page 17, under fate tresshold is it said that one should turn to page 244 to read more about the rules of fate points, it should be page 245, page 244 are the table with mutations.