Help me design a Mill agenda

By dcdennis, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

House GJ Only

Your House card gains: "Any phase: Kneel your house card to choose an opponent. The chosen opponent discards X cards from his or her deck."

If any opponent has no cards left in his or her draw deck you win the game.

-----------

Note: Should X be a static value? If so how high? 3? 5? Should X be dependent on some variable like power on your house? Based on the number of plots in your used pile? Would this agenda be likely to get you to attempt to play a mill deck?

Anything really with unconditional mill would be welcome to me. That is what I always find the most problematic thing with mill. I have to do something in order to get the first mill effect (win M challenge, win challenge on uo, kill a character). Now with house card as "on demand" mill I would run it even if it just milled 1-2 just so it was sure that I could mill and get some of those mill effects going when I need them. So either plots used or small static number would be of my liking.

What would be the downside of this?

What would be the downside of this?

that ncf doesnt kneel to attack you.

Is the only drawback opportunity cost?

I was thinking of something along the lines of:

Template - "Response: If X is discarded from the top of an opponent's deck... Limit 3 times per round."

X = Character - Take 1 gold from the treasury for each character discarded from the effect.

X = Attachment - Discard an attachment from play.

X = Location - Return a location from your discard pile to your hand.

X = Event - Trigger the top event card in your discard pile as if you played it from your hand.

There are lots of things that can be done depending on the card type discarded.

Claim 1 power(for house or put it on a character).

Draw 1 card.

Kneel a card of the same type.

Discard a card from their hand(maybe for attachments or events only).

Drawback -

If the opponent beats you in an unopposed challenge, they may steal a power from your house or maybe claim an additional power.

I like the over powered and retarded ideas that I have.

House Greyjoy only.

If a player has no cards in his or her deck, he is eliminated from the game.

Opponents with more cards in their discard pile than you claim an extra power when they win unopposed challenges against you.

and ktom brings the balance...

maybe add kneel your house card to discard 1 card from the top of your oppents deck too just cause...

Help me design a mill agenda

no.png

I like Ktom's idea, however I would edit the drawback since mill will almost never beat a rush deck that can get 2 power off an unopposed challenge.

House Greyhoy only.

The exact size of your deck is 45 cards.

If a player is unable to draw a card, he is eliminated from the game.

During the taxation phase discard the top card of your deck.

Perhaps the numbers need tweaking with testing, but the idea is... if you want to introduce a new elimination mode, have the drawback be forcing you to be proactive about racing the opponent. Otherwise you will eventually lose and run out of steam.

This also has a side advantage of giving Greyjoy a smaller and therefore more focused deck, (the 5KE one was similar but disallowed neutrals).

I like Ktom's idea, however I would edit the drawback since mill will almost never beat a rush deck that can get 2 power off an unopposed challenge.

House Greyhoy only.

The exact size of your deck is 45 cards.

If a player is unable to draw a card, he is eliminated from the game.

During the taxation phase discard the top card of your deck.

Perhaps the numbers need tweaking with testing, but the idea is... if you want to introduce a new elimination mode, have the drawback be forcing you to be proactive about racing the opponent. Otherwise you will eventually lose and run out of steam.

This also has a side advantage of giving Greyjoy a smaller and therefore more focused deck, (the 5KE one was similar but disallowed neutrals).

I like it, except "At the start of the taxation phase discard the top card of EACH deck."

Alternatively, it could be at end of phase if you want to balance it by disallowing responses to that discard.

ktom's idea is much better than bloodycelt's idea. Shrinking the size of the player's deck is a positive and not a negative, even if they have to discard 1 card a turn (which isn't a big deal). I've seen mill decks discard 20+ cards in a turn before.

Would this agenda be likely to get you to attempt to play a mill deck?

lol, I still cling to my milling theme, even though it's not nearly as competitive as it would be if I just dropped the milling stuff and focused on power/efficiency cards. So, yes, I would definitely run mill if they introduced a milling agenda. What about an agenda that acted like Corpse Lake, in that you get some positive effect if an effect discarded one or more characters, where the drawback could be that something negative happens if an effect discards a non-character card.

Edited by J_Roel

House GJ Only

Your House card gains: "Any phase: Kneel your house card to choose an opponent. The chosen opponent discards X cards from his or her deck."

If any opponent has no cards left in his or her draw deck you win the game.

-----------

Note: Should X be a static value? If so how high? 3? 5? Should X be dependent on some variable like power on your house? Based on the number of plots in your used pile? Would this agenda be likely to get you to attempt to play a mill deck?

What're you looking to build? Something that will be played or something that has inherent balance and gameplay that is actually fun?

If you want something fun, these are what I would suggest:

This concept is mill-to-win

The Iron Price

After you lose a challenge, place an Iron Price token on The Iron Price.

Dominance: After you win dominance, remove up to 3 Iron Price tokens from The Iron Price. Discard X cards from the top of each player's deck where X is the number of Iron Price tokens removed. If an opponent can not discard a card for this effect, claim 12 power for your house.

I made it 12 power so that if a player could totally hose you out of power, they had a small chance of winning when you deck them. It will probably never matter, but that one game it does will be epic as hell. I also made each player (including you) discard so that it really feels thematically like it's The Iron Price. You lost. You pay the price for losing but you make your opponent pay an equal price when you finally win.

This concept is not mill-to-win.

The Iron Price

After you lose a challenge, place 1 Iron Price token on The Iron Price. At the end of the dominance phase, discard all tokens from The Iron Price. (seriously, let's add some non-gold, non-power token to the game)

Dominance: If you won dominance this phase, remove 1 Iron Price token from The Iron Price to discard 1 card from each player's deck. If two players discard the same type of card, claim 1 power for your house.

I'd go for something simpler; since it's GJ only, make the balancing factor that you can't win unopposed. I think giving the opponent extra power on unopposed helps rush in general (and Bara specifically) too much. Even with the restriction of corpse lake, there are enough effects that key off discarding off the top that I'm not sure adding another one is a good idea.

House GJ only

Every challenge you make is considered opposed.

Response: If an opponent has no cards in their deck, claim 15 power (I'm not sure if "you win the game" or "opponent loses the game" is sufficient, what with power differential in melee etc)

Response: When an opponent discards the top card of his deck, you may kneel your house card to discard another card.

I think this agenda should state:

"Response: After your jaw is dislocated, discard the top X cards from your opponents deck. X is how much pain you are in on a scale of 1 - 10 where 10 is the most pain."

I'd go for something simpler; since it's GJ only, make the balancing factor that you can't win unopposed. I think giving the opponent extra power on unopposed helps rush in general (and Bara specifically) too much. Even with the restriction of corpse lake, there are enough effects that key off discarding off the top that I'm not sure adding another one is a good idea.

House GJ only

Every challenge you make is considered opposed.

Response: If an opponent has no cards in their deck, claim 15 power (I'm not sure if "you win the game" or "opponent loses the game" is sufficient, what with power differential in melee etc)

Response: When an opponent discards the top card of his deck, you may kneel your house card to discard another card.

i like this actually.

I like that too, take away our ability to claim unopposed (which is definitely something that will give GJ players pause) in exchange for a win condition for milling a deck successfully. Let's make it happen!

I think saying everything is opposed is a little too much. I feel like it should just say that you cannot claim unopposed power instead. Also, one extra discarded card a turn is a little weak. And winning from 0 cards in one opponent's deck would make Melee a huge collusion/confusion fest. Maybe something more like:

House GJ only
You cannot claim power for unopposed Challenges.

Any effect that discards 1 or more cards from a player's deck discards an additional card. If each other player has 0 cards in their deck, you win the game.

Edited by sWhiteboy

Why not this:

House Greyjoy only.
You cannot claim power from unopposed challenges.
After a player wins a challenge, discard X cards from the losing opponent's deck where X is the amount of Strength you won the challenge by. If a player is unable to draw a card during the draw step action window, they lose the game.

I like this since it can backfire on you, and it keeps the win condition/lose condition tied with winning challenges.