Playing and Putting into play?

By Eryx_UK, in CoC Rules Discussion

Playing in todays tournament and an odd question has cropped up that we're not sure on the decision.

Player 1 plays Forever Reborn to return Nodens from discard into play, and then Written in the Sky to get an AO.

Forever Reborn says "put into play" and Written in the Sky says "when you play". Is putting into play the same as playing a card?

Thanks.

No, putting into play is not the same as playing a card. Playing means that you play a card from your hand paying any (possible) costs. So if you use Mother's Seed, you did not 'play' the card, even though the card came into play from your hand. You didn't play it even if the character put into play had 0 cost.

So in your case a rule was definitely broken.

Thanks very much. I made the right decision.

It seems like an obvious response but none of us were really sure how it played and there was no mention in the FAQ.

Bard said:

No, putting into play is not the same as playing a card. Playing means that you play a card from your hand paying any (possible) costs. So if you use Mother's Seed, you did not 'play' the card, even though the card came into play from your hand. You didn't play it even if the character put into play had 0 cost.

Are you sure? Playing is playing. Being played from hand, discard pile, draw deck, when it is brought into play it's played. For example, I sacrifice Priestess of Bubastis care of Shocking Transformation to play Hungry Dark Young, who will then return Priestess of Bubastis to play. Though I can see the case if one were attempting to lower the cost of a card to be played that would apply to a card being played from hand. But using Shocking Transformation of Under the Porch to play Small Ghouls, Small Ghouls forced response would still trigger. Now, I may be out of line here and not understanding the rulings of a specific play. But from what I understand anytime you bring something into play (regardless of how) it has been played.

Please let me know if and how I'm incorrect and if you could point it out in the FAQ or in the rules I would appreciate it. I was a Servitor for the older ccg and if I can learn something about this, that would be great.

What is an AO? I'm trying to understand the ruling on these particular cards.

Ancient-One.... got it. Silly question. Academic Obfuescation confused me a bit.

Lindorm said:

Bard said:

Are you sure? Playing is playing. Being played from hand, discard pile, draw deck, when it is brought into play it's played. For example, I sacrifice Priestess of Bubastis care of Shocking Transformation to play Hungry Dark Young, who will then return Priestess of Bubastis to play. Though I can see the case if one were attempting to lower the cost of a card to be played that would apply to a card being played from hand. But using Shocking Transformation of Under the Porch to play Small Ghouls, Small Ghouls forced response would still trigger. Now, I may be out of line here and not understanding the rulings of a specific play. But from what I understand anytime you bring something into play (regardless of how) it has been played.

Please let me know if and how I'm incorrect and if you could point it out in the FAQ or in the rules I would appreciate it. I was a Servitor for the older ccg and if I can learn something about this, that would be great.

As said Bard, playing a card is not putting a card in play. Shocking Transformation or Under the Porch say you "put into play", not "play the card from somewhere". “Put into Play” is a specific game mechanic.

You play a card from your hand (see rules p.8 about operations phase) not from your discard pile for example.

For the Faq see p.3

(v1.5) “Put into Play”
“Put into Play” is a game mechanic that bypasses
all costs (including resource matches) and play
restrictions, with the exception of uniqueness.
For example, Darrin has Hired Gun (FR R4) in
his hand. The text states: “...Action: put Hired
Gun into play from your hand.” Thus, Darrin
may choose to trigger its text and put the Hired
Gun into play, without paying the cost.

-- Neutral --
Written in the Sky
------------------
Type : Event
Cost : 0
Subtype :
Game Text: Response: after you play an Ancient One character, search your deck for a different Ancient One character, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Then shuffle your deck.
Flavor text:
Illustrator: Aaron Acevedo
Collector's Info: ASM F19

"to play" means you pay for it (even if you pay 0) - It's different from "putting into play" Playing puts something into play, but putting something into play isn't always 'to play.'

Most of the time you play things from your hand, but:

-- Neutral --
•The Black Man, Coven Master
----------------------------
Type : Character
Cost : 5
Skill : 3
Icons : TTCA
Subtype : Avatar of Nyarlathotep.
Game Text: Action: Pay 3 to choose the top card of your discard pile. If it is a Spell card, play it immediately for no cost. Then, put it at the bottom of your deck.
Flavor text:
Illustrator: Patrick McEvoy
Collector's Info: AE P13

Notice that the card says that you play it (for no cost)

Same goes for:

-- Yog-Sothoth --
Chant of Thoth
--------------
Type : Event
Cost : 1
Subtype : Spell.
Game Text: Action: choose up to 3 Spell or Artifact cards in your discard pile. Until the end of the phase, you may play those cards as though you were playing them from your hand. If any of the chosen cards are event cards, put them on the bottom of your deck instead of your discard pile after playing them.
Flavor text:
Illustrator: Scott Keating
Collector's Info: FR R98

So, play and put into play is not the same thing. When in doubt, the card will mention which one it is "Put into play" or "play that card."

(This is without a doubt the worst board software I have ever seen. Unreal.)

Lindorm said:

Are you sure?

Positive. Bard is definitely right here. And this has always been the case.

Lindorm said:

Playing is playing. Being played from hand, discard pile, draw deck, when it is brought into play it's played.

No. "Play" is not the same as "put into play", as has been discussed above.

Lindorm said:

For example, I sacrifice Priestess of Bubastis care of Shocking Transformation to play Hungry Dark Young, who will then return Priestess of Bubastis to play.

Only because the HDY triggers off of being put into play.

Lindorm said:

But using Shocking Transformation of Under the Porch to play Small Ghouls, Small Ghouls forced response would still trigger.

Again, only because the Ghouls are worded that way. If the Ghouls were instead worded like "After you play Small Ghouls, ..."

then the card would not work.

As further example, take a look at Aspiring Artist from the Ancient Horrors Asylum pack:

Response: After you play Aspiring Artist, draw 2 cards. Use the ability only if there are no story cards in your won story pile.

If you were to lose the Artist and the bring him back into play (with HDY for example) his ability would not trigger again. Because you didn't play him, you merely put him into play, and in so doing bypassed the costs in "playing" him, as well as the chance to trigger his ability.

way off topic but why does this thread stay 'unread' after clicking the mark all topics read and even clicking the thread? it just stays unread and its real annoying. wonder whats up with this thread.

PearlJamaholic said:

way off topic but why does this thread stay 'unread' after clicking the mark all topics read and even clicking the thread? it just stays unread and its real annoying. wonder whats up with this thread.

I'd also like to fix them the indicators for subforums, since they _always_ seem to contain unread messages.

Ah, I see now. After seeing the card's text I understand the difference in the wording and I am inclined to agree with you all here on that. Hence the reason I asked what the cards did happy.gif .

Thanks for taking the time to explain it.