WoW WW1 4th Box?

By LilRed, in Wings of War

Andrea has been posting rumors about releasing a 4th boxed set with bombers from ww1. I know that the people at FFG and Nexus probably are more busy with the HUGE succes of the miniature series. But I'm really interested when I can expect it... Hope Andrea still frequents these parts........

I thought I saw a note about a new box-game being released for bombers in the Second World War game -- a Stuka on the box-art. But I haven't heard anything about a new box-game for the WW I version.

That would be really cool! Imagine a miniature of a giant Gotha bomber -- it would be huge!

Sabrejet said:

I thought I saw a note about a new box-game being released for bombers in the Second World War game -- a Stuka on the box-art. But I haven't heard anything about a new box-game for the WW I version.

Multi engine bombers. Technically, WWI already has bombers.

Andre said that WWI would see multi engine planes before WWII about a year ago.

Merlin Dex said:

I have to wait until *Set 6* to get my Hanriots!?

Do you remember what happened to the Western Powers' armies in 1916? :)

Skytrex and reviresco can make you wait until the 6th box comes !

gui%C3%B1o.gif

Merlin Dex said:

Skytrex and reviresco can make you wait until the 6th box comes !

And if I had *any* model-building skill at all.... :P

I'm always a big fan of hobby cross-pollination. Maybe you should give model building a try...you might be good at it! I don't create works of art myself, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to make good gaming pieces.

If the sets that Merlin Dex put up are truly on the way, the additional possibilities for campaigns will be enhanced. I could see starting with an eindekker or moraine saulnier in 1915 and then working your way up through 1918.

Of course, there are currently large gaps with what is available in the actual series but anyone who can find 1/144th scale models of WW1 aircraft may be able to bridge those gaps until nexus catches up.

As to the prospect of a Gotha G-V:

I have a feeling that large, multi-engine bombers might be better suited to their own scenario box - like 'Burning Drachens'. The Gotha G-V was actually kind of small for a multi-engine bomber but it's wingspan was still 3 times the length of the average 2-seater. If you start talking about larger multi-engines, like the Zeppelin Staaken R VI or Caproni Ca.42, you get to a size where using large cardboard cut outs becomes a far better proposition than an actual model - the size of the model even in 1/144th scale would probably cause the cost to be very high - if bombers of that size were done in similar fashion to the balloons with separate movement rules they would probably play better in game.

If playing actual models is your thing no matter what, though, you may find that 1/144th scale models of some of the most used may be available. Here is a LINK for the die hards who want the models - it is English, but perhaps you can order using paypal or something similar:

http://www.skytrex.com/

OK, I can't figure out how to make it link but if you copy it and put it in your search engine it will take you to the main skytrex page - you then look to the left and hit the 'military vehicles and figures' section - go to bottom left 'Red Eagle 1/144th scale WW1 aircraft and viola! - you get the whole line of what they have - including the earlier mentioned Gotha G-V. Enjoy! :D

PS - Here's a LINK to the aerodrome that discusses 1/144th models in general and mentions a few other sources:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/models/26362-source-1-144th-ww1-models.html

You may have to copy this one too, but it goes straight there. Don't let the age of the thread fool you - many of the links still work OK. Cya! :)

bsmith13 said:

I'm always a big fan of hobby cross-pollination. Maybe you should give model building a try...you might be good at it! I don't create works of art myself, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to make good gaming pieces.

I have -- that's how I know I don't have any. (If you've ever seen _Blazing Saddles_, think back to the scene where The Waco Kid demonstrates how far gone his shooting hand is -- that's me. :) )

. o O ( When the heck did *BELGIUM* get a Freidrichhafen? )

LilRed said:

And more info is out credits to Andrea and BGG:

www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/42924

A quote from Andrea Angiolino
"Miniature will follow almost for sure, for some of them at least. When and how much depend on the success of the special kits, as the balloon coming later this year. In 1/144 they will have 16 cm, 20 cm, even 28 cm of wingspan."

(Source: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/408625 )

Ohh.. I want!

I you want the minatures you could buy some in thin and paint them yourself if you can't wait.

Here is the link to a british and italian page that sells 2 different kind of versions of them:

www.tin-soldier.com/cgi-bin/ustorekeeper.pl The Italian page, havn't bought from them myself. Bad navigation however, use the drop list and choose aircraft.

www.skytrex.com/ The place I bought half of my planes from (the rest are Wow planes). Cheap and reliable but a lot more work than the Wow planes but a good compliment for bombers and other planes that are not made as Wow planes yet.