What's the point of capturing?

By mrFlibble801, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Rules Questions

Seriously though, what is the point in capturing if the card is considered out of play? If I capture Luke Skywalker and my opponent has another in his hand they can play that Luke, wouldn't it be better to just load Luke up on tokens to keep the card from doing anything and they wouldn't be able to play another copy of the card?

I'm a new player mind and I just don't see the point.

There are objectives that give you bonuses if you have a captured card underneath them. Some, the more the merrier.

Also, yes, burying a character is good, but sometimes you just need him gone for a turn. Or look at Yoda. Capture him, discard all his enhancements. I'm not super concerned if he comes out again.

Capturing is not always the answer, but it is sometimes helpful.

there is literally dozens of reasons to capture cards, but to name a few of the more important ones. scum has some units that get more powerful with captured cards, many, if not most, of the objectives have benefits for captured cards on them, capturing is essentially spot removal. How is it anything other than good to remove Luke/han/chewy/lando/rogue3 etc etc from the board? there is even enhancements that allow you to discard your captured card instead of putting it at an objective. That's a very good way to dispose of the LS heavy hitters so they can't be rescued.

as far as focusing down units, sure, that's all well and good, but elite units are very tough to keep focused down because they remove 2 focus a turn and even Luke, is very tough because of his ability to remove a focus on his opponents turn as well as his own refresh, and now you have new events and units that can shuffle focus from one charter to another (bamboozle, cloud city operative, etc), and it will likely be from their unit to yours.

Agree with the responses so far. Also if you are using something like Tatooine Crash, you can capture his cards he doesn't even know. So if you capture Luke with it on turn 1, he may be waiting the whole game for Luke to come out when you already have it. Sure, he might have 2, but you can capture that one, too. Considering how much these big units cost to get out, I'd much rather capture it and have him use all his resources again. It's a much better use of Scum resources rather than attacking.

And I'll tell you what, it feels amazing to capture someone like Luke or Han and then capture their Cloud City enhancement that gives them resources. It really just cripples them so they are struggling to get powerful units out the whole game.

Wow, that does actually sound pretty good, has anyone had any success with capture decks? I'm getting all my stuff tomorrow and was thinking about making a scum and villainy/capture deck.

I have had limited success. the issue with S&V, at least in my own personal opinion, is it lacks the really amazing main units that the other affiliations seem to have. Yes we have a few, slave 1 is great and jabba, but many of our mains aren't of equal caliber to the other factions mains. units like bossk, greedo, boba fett, assassin droid, bib fortuna, are all lacking for their cost compared to what they can do and to what other units such as Han, chewy, lando, rogue3, Luke, etc can do for the same or similar costs.

now having said that, I think their capture ability is the great equalizer. it allows your sub par units to stand up to their units because in theory, you will be removing these very powerful units with your various capture abilities.

here is another thing that I find to be unique about S&V decks (again, my opinion). most of the sets are actually better as singles rather than taking 2 of them in your deck, with the exception of a few. jabbas reach, carbonite transport, and tatooine crash I feel are all good in sets. I posted a sizable piece in the scum development thread a,week ago about this , and then I listened to the smugglers den podcast today and they said the exact same thing so maybe I'm not far off. I just feel like there is alot of sets with 2 copies of their units. 2 weekays, 2 z-95s, 2 paid informants, 2 trandoshan hunters, 2 jawas, 2 corrupt officials, 2 aqualish thugs. tobe honest, I don't want 4 of most of those units clogging up my deck so the sets with better as singles.

I basically rated the scum sets as I heard Ben did on the podcast. they're either a capture set, resource set, or both, then I somewhat ranked the strength of the capturing abilities of the cards in the capture sets. we know we need 6-8 resources in our decks, so that leaves capturing sets. so some capturing is stronger than others. get me solo is a weak form of capture. the z-95s are another weak form of capture. bossk, bounty, capture, the tatooine crash, uttini! are all stronger forms of capture. so I took both of those ideas into consideration, and then looked at the synergy between the sets I had laid out and that's how I put my scum deck together and this far it's been quite good, but it needs a ton more playtesting. I also have a few slight changes I want to test out as well so, I'm not quite %100 confident in the deck just yet.

So what'a a good counter to a capture deck? My wife and I have 1 Core Set and 1 Edge Set, and when she plays her smugglers, I get handed no matter which LS deck I seem to play.

Maybe it's because we don't have all the Hoth packs yet? Or maybe they're just really that good. But it seems like any time I get going getting a good card out with maybe an enhancement or two - she captures him. Ugh - ticks me off ;)

So what'a a good counter to a capture deck? My wife and I have 1 Core Set and 1 Edge Set, and when she plays her smugglers, I get handed no matter which LS deck I seem to play.

Maybe it's because we don't have all the Hoth packs yet? Or maybe they're just really that good. But it seems like any time I get going getting a good card out with maybe an enhancement or two - she captures him. Ugh - ticks me off ;)

pretty much all the capture can be counter in various ways with or without cards.

bounty - win an edge by 3+, saboteur, fallback, and the upcoming tactical retreat are few.

bossk - over my dead body

capture - c-3p0, counter stroke

tatooine crash - blow it up

z-95 head hunter - over my dead body, focus it before it strikes, kill it before it strikes, or dump all your unit cards into the edge battle.

boba fett - over my dead body, kill him, focus him, or don't worry about him because you never see him.

Get me Solo - c-3p0, counter stroke

Uninni! - c-3p0, counter stroke, echo control center

other cards/strategies that can be used to stop or rescue captives - renegade squadron (the search for skywalker), rescue mission (core), mission commander (edge of darkness)

there is probably more, but thats just what i could think of off hand.

I think the point of capturing is that it's a less costly way to remove problematic cards from your opponent. Some cards have the ability to capture something every turn (Z-95, Boba enhanced). There's even an objective or an enhancement that lets you start discarding captured cards so they probably don't return. Captured cards give bonuses to various cards.

The downside of all this ability is that your opponent has a reasonable chance to get things back to his hand by destroying objectives.

pretty much all the capture can be counter in various ways with or without cards.

bounty - win an edge by 3+, saboteur, fallback, and the upcoming tactical retreat are few.

bossk - over my dead body

capture - c-3p0, counter stroke

tatooine crash - blow it up

z-95 head hunter - over my dead body, focus it before it strikes, kill it before it strikes, or dump all your unit cards into the edge battle.

boba fett - over my dead body, kill him, focus him, or don't worry about him because you never see him.

Get me Solo - c-3p0, counter stroke

Uninni! - c-3p0, counter stroke, echo control center

other cards/strategies that can be used to stop or rescue captives - renegade squadron (the search for skywalker), rescue mission (core), mission commander (edge of darkness)

there is probably more, but thats just what i could think of off hand.

you're forgetting a favorite of some people... Trust Me... dealing 2 damage to it may seem counter-productive, but, when you think about it, they payed 3 for that Capture, and ended up paying for a more expensive Rebel Assault.

Trust Me is good, but the 2-damage cost is enough that I will tend to save it for game changing events. As a DS player I will dare my opponent to cancel with it and give me an easy objective kill.

Here's my question regarding capturing... The objective that says after you refresh capture the top card of your opponents deck, if able. First off why does it say "if able" if you can capture multiple cards at an objective? And also since the card goes facedown, can either player see what the card is or can the DS player or LS player see it before it goes facedown??

Here's my question regarding capturing... The objective that says after you refresh capture the top card of your opponents deck, if able. First off why does it say "if able" if you can capture multiple cards at an objective? And also since the card goes facedown, can either player see what the card is or can the DS player or LS player see it before it goes facedown??

Maybe their deck is out of cards. Or maybe we will see a card that prevents cards from being captured.

FAQ

(2.5)

Facedown Captured Cards
The Dark Side player may look at facedown cards
captured at his objectives at any time. Barring a card
effect that allows him to do so, the Light Side player

may not look at facedown captured cards

Maybe their deck is out of cards. Or maybe we will see a card that prevents cards from being captured.

FAQ

(2.5)

Facedown Captured Cards

So if only DS player can see the captured cards, what if he sees a card that can't be captured? Does he just have to honest?

The "if able" is there in case there's no cards in the LS deck. Every card in a deck can be captured so there's no honesty issue. What toqtamish was implying was that there might be an effect that prevents you using the capture mechanic against a known in-play card, because effects only apply to cards in-play (unless otherwise saying so, blah, blah, blah).

FAQ

(2.5)

Facedown Captured Cards

So if only DS player can see the captured cards, what if he sees a card that can't be captured? Does he just have to honest?

When I said a card that stops cards from being captured I meant like an enhancement that you play to your play area. Not a card that says on it "cannot be captured" which would not matter anyway as that would only apply if the card was in play and cards at the top of your deck are not in play. Captured cards are blank and have no stats, abilities, powers, text etc.

Rulebook:

A captured card has no characteristics

(i.e. no text, type, numbers, or other information), and

is considered solely a captured card until rescued or

discarded.

Play against it more and you won't feel that way anymore. I seriously think Lando's pod is the strongest Smuggler Pod.

Trust Me is good, but the 2-damage cost is enough that I will tend to save it for game changing events. As a DS player I will dare my opponent to cancel with it and give me an easy objective kill.

your opponent isn't always going to have another luke in his hand. You're not always going to have a way to tactics bury luke available. And sometimes your opponent plays cards that counter tactics burying.

Removing a card from play is very often a very good play, because in the short term your opponent can't use that card against you.

So is it that anytime a card is captured from the top of a deck, the LS player can not see what it is? If so, I've been playing that wrong...

So is it that anytime a card is captured from the top of a deck, the LS player can not see what it is? If so, I've been playing that wrong...

LS never gets to see captured cards unless through some other cards effect

From the "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people" department: is there a limit on capturing cards? I just had a game where Fett and the Headhunters went wild for a couple turns (because LS was using Undercover Dealings) and wound up with 5 captured cards. Is it illegal to capturs more than 1 at a given objective? 'Cause the way some cards are written (Bespin Exchange & Hunt For Han Solo to name a couple) I would think not.

From the "there are no stupid questions, only stupid people" department: is there a limit on capturing cards? I just had a game where Fett and the Headhunters went wild for a couple turns (because LS was using Undercover Dealings) and wound up with 5 captured cards. Is it illegal to capturs more than 1 at a given objective? 'Cause the way some cards are written (Bespin Exchange & Hunt For Han Solo to name a couple) I would think not.

Other than printed limits for the actual capture (ie. "Limit once per turn" there are no restrictions on how many captured cards any given objective or unit card can have placed. I once gained a Reserve Value of 11 via capturing cards at an objective

Yeah, I really like the fact that Scum (and even to some extent Sith) have extended what capturing can do for you. While I agree that capturing would be far more powerful if it limited unique units from entering play, it would definitely unbalance the game. If you want that kind of effect, however, there is a unit that does that - Ysanne Isard . The objective is also a huge help, and I wish it was 2x.

Yeah, I really like the fact that Scum (and even to some extent Sith) have extended what capturing can do for you. While I agree that capturing would be far more powerful if it limited unique units from entering play, it would definitely unbalance the game. If you want that kind of effect, however, there is a unit that does that - Ysanne Isard . The objective is also a huge help, and I wish it was 2x.

Wait, so if ◆Luke Skywalker is captured by the S&V, the LS could play another ◆Luke Skywalker unit? And Luke could theoretically rescue himself? (Even though he obviously couldn't then play the 2nd Luke card outside of an edge battle or sacrifice)

Wait, so if ◆Luke Skywalker is captured by the S&V, the LS could play another ◆Luke Skywalker unit? And Luke could theoretically rescue himself? (Even though he obviously couldn't then play the 2nd Luke card outside of an edge battle or sacrifice)

That is correct unless Ysanne Isard blocks that move