Spy resources usage

By marchcat, in Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game

Hello community,

We have a question regrading spies resources.

These resources are used for canceling your competitors actions? for example in Writing tech - cancel city action in City Management phase.

I didn't find any details in the Rules.

Can I use this capability duiring only my turn of phase or during any turn of phase? Does it mean that in case of my turn is first - I can't cancel any action, in case mu turn is second - i can cancel only action from the previous player?

Thank you in advance.

Some Spy abilities are the only abilities that can be played during other player's turns.

To be clear, here are the only things that can be played during other players turns : Writing ability, Service Public ability, Communism ability, Mass Media ability, and Culture card "Defection".

Only Mysticism Spy ability cannot be played during other player's turn.

About Writing, it only cancels a City action -> producing something, devoting to the arts, harvesting a resource (some tech talk about "action" but cannot be canceled by Writing ; for example democracy tech ability). When a City action is canceled by Writing, the City cannot take an action during this turn. But the player get back everything he involved in this action. These things are :

Trades converted in hammers

Culture card that gives boost to production (We love the x Day)

Resource to boost your production (Wheat on Animal husbandry, Construction, etc.)

Engineering ability if it was used by this City.

Edited by Itchi

Hello Itchi,

Thank you for answer.

Some ads here:

1. If spies resources can be used in an opponent turn, does it mean any resource can be used in the opponent turn? From the rules there are no difference between types of resources - or there are any official comments for spies case? I didn't find it in the official F.A.Q.

2. Regarding engineering ability - what does you mean?

Hello Itchi,

Thank you for answer.

Some ads here:

1. If spies resources can be used in an opponent turn, does it mean any resource can be used in the opponent turn? From the rules there are no difference between types of resources - or there are any official comments for spies case? I didn't find it in the official F.A.Q.

2. Regarding engineering ability - what does you mean?

1) Only Spy abilities from the tech I mentionned and the "Defection" Culture card can be played during other players turn (the good wording for these abilities and this culture card is "may interrupt other players actions"). So other resources are always used during your turn. With the following "exception" : The Iron you use with Metalworking, Mathematics or Balistics, and Healing abilities from Animal Husbandry and Biology are used during your "battle turn" that can happen during another player "Turn", if for example it was during the other player movement phase that the battle is occuring (this is quite logic ^^). This said, all other resources or tech abilities can only be used during your turn (your Sot, your trade phase, your Cm, your Movement phase) and so follow the clockwise order depending of which player haves the "starting player" marker.

2) If one of your City used Engineering ability and so produced 2 things, for example an Army and an Infantry, and another player used a Spy to cancel your City action. You can still use Engineering ability on another City and so being able to produce 2 things.

Edited by Itchi
1) Only Spy abilities from the tech I mentionned and the "Defection" Culture card can be played during other players turn (the good wording for these abilities and this culture card is "may interrupt other players actions")

Hello Itchi,

But on the resource ability I mean no this phrase. You can find it on Communism tech, but there is no one on Writing tech.

1) Only Spy abilities from the tech I mentionned and the "Defection" Culture card can be played during other players turn (the good wording for these abilities and this culture card is "may interrupt other players actions")

Hello Itchi,

But on the resource ability I mean no this phrase. You can find it on Communism tech, but there is no one on Writing tech.

It's not on Writing or Public Service tech but it works the same way. It cancels a city action or a culture event. The wording "Cancel" clearly means it can be played during other players turn.

That's how it works anyway ^^.