Apparent contradiction regarding loosing Attributes

By Obsidianrose, in Relic

I have come across something, that to me is a contradiction in the rules. However as I am new to this, it could be me getting it wrong.

On page 6 of the rules dealing with Attributes it looks as though you can loose attributes right down to 1 and no lower.

On page 7 at the top in the black area it also talks of Attributes, but there to me it looks as though you can only loose them down to the number you started with and no lower.

Does the Golden Rule on page 22 come into play to allow the loss down to one if a card tells you to do so ?

Page 6

Gaining and Losing Attributes

A player can gain attributes. Each time this happens, he adjusts the corresponding dial on his character board by rotating it clockwise by the specified amount. An attribute dial has a maximum value of 12. If an attribute dial reads “12” and a player gains an attribute corresponding to that dial, he cannot adjust his dial further, and he ignores the attribute gain.

A player can lose attributes. Each time this happens, he adjusts the corresponding dial on his character board by rotating it anticlockwise by the specified amount. A player’s attribute dials have a minimum value of 1. If a player’s attribute dial reads “1” and he loses an attribute, he does not adjust his attribute dial further, and he ignores the attribute lost.

Page 7

10. Starting Attribute and Life Values: The Strength, Willpower, and Cunning values indicate how much of each attribute a player has at the beginning of the game. A player cannot reduce his attribute dials below this value. The Life value indicates how much Life a player has at the beginning of the game.

Page 22

Golden Rule

In any instance where a special ability or text box conflicts with the rules in this book, the special ability or text box always takes precedence.

I think currently you can only go below your Starting value when playing with the Lost Flagship of St. Antias scenario.

Hi Dam

Thanks for that. I also just found your post on this subject dated the 7/4/13. I would agree with you, so that how I am going to proceed. It was a clip on YouTube that confused me a bit, but all is well now.

Thanks again for the reply. :)