Final Battle

By Schmiegel, in Descent: Journeys in the Dark

Once the Avatar appears in the Final Battle, does the Overlord continue to collect threat every turn, even though all Overlord cards are discarded? Since the Avatar can Battle and Run, as a Lt. can in an encounter, I would presume that the answer is yes, as threat could still be spent the same way that it is in a Lt. encounter. The Final Battle rules don't specify one way or the other, which probably means it's the same as a Lt. encounter. Have never gotten that far in a campaign, and just wanted to confirm this and ask how others play it. Thanks in advance!

Yes, best of my knowledge they do.

I believe in the list of unanswered questions, one of the answers states that the OL still gains threat, but it can't being used for anything. Which sucks.

Ah, typed tired and too late to edit now - I meant list of answered questions gathered from the old forum...

Haven't gotten that far in a campaign yet either, but I would presume that, given the commonly held opinion that the Avatar has it quite rough in the final battle, I would be inclined to let the OL collect threat and spend it as in an outdoor encounter (i.e. 2 threat = 1 power die or 1 move point, etc)

Officially, though, it's supposed to be just the Avatar vs. the heroes, with nothing at all to help the Avi out. That in and of itself makes it difficult, since the heroes can spend fatigue, rest, and NOW, use feats. (I think I'm going to try to house rule that feats get thrown out the same way the OL's cards do, but I won't bring it up until very close to the end, so the players know how easy they've got it ;-)

Osaka said:

Haven't gotten that far in a campaign yet either, but I would presume that, given the commonly held opinion that the Avatar has it quite rough in the final battle, I would be inclined to let the OL collect threat and spend it as in an outdoor encounter (i.e. 2 threat = 1 power die or 1 move point, etc)

Officially, though, it's supposed to be just the Avatar vs. the heroes, with nothing at all to help the Avi out. That in and of itself makes it difficult, since the heroes can spend fatigue, rest, and NOW, use feats. (I think I'm going to try to house rule that feats get thrown out the same way the OL's cards do, but I won't bring it up until very close to the end, so the players know how easy they've got it ;-)

Just as a side note, thats not a house rule. Until FFG bring out the FAQ there are still officially no rules for using Feats in RtL.

KW may have answered once a way you could use themn, but even the wording of his answer itself indicated that it was a possible temporary solution and not one intended either originally or finally.

The "repealed" faq included feats in RtL, and though it may see some revision, I doubt it will be removed...

It also looks like the faq is going to allow feats for the OL battle, so yeah...the cards that the heroes just gained in ToI stay while the cards that have basically defined the OL since the inception of the game get put away for what appears to already be a very tough go for the OL...

Yeah if the Feats stay for the Final Battle, then the advantage that the OL picked up by being able to place Ready Actions is completely killed.