Warp Instability: The continuing trials of Bob

By Illithidelderbrain, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi all! So my psyker, "Bob" rolled for mutation, and (fortunately?) got Pseudo-Daemonhood. He/she/it is devoted to Slaanesh, so I got a nice upgrade to Agility (YAY!) and a HUGE Fear rating; but I'm a bit worried about the Warp Instability. How does that work in Narrative Time? Does he/she/it constantly "wink" in and out of existence (No in-game benefit or penalty) kinda like how the ghost from The Grudge looked when walking down the hall toward the security camera? I understand how the trait works for any given combat encounter, but how does it relate to everything else?

Edited by Illithidelderbrain

Warp Instability only comes into play if you are injured. If you are dealt damage then you must respond in kind.

As far as game mechanics go Apache is right, however for how your character looks during the rest of the time let your imagination run wild. It could be that Bob constantly flickers or blinks in and out like your friendly grudge ghost there or perhaps he looks normal most of the time but appears indistinct whenever you look at him out of the corner of your eyes only to appear normal (relatively speaking) when you look straight at him.

He might also walk much like the ghost from the ring suddenly vanishing and appearing a couple of steps closer, considering the fact that psuedo daemonhood also grants the terryfying trait feel free to make the effects of this power as freaky as possible.

I was trying to think how we do it in our game, but I've got Illusion of Normalcy as well so it counters the effects of any cosmetic changes. We've house ruled that, much like Icon of Blasphemy, you can "switch off" the Illusion of Normalcy to uncover your true form underneath. In this instance I become, for all intent and purposes, a Horror. I have multiple arms which phase in and out, always seeming transulecent and almost holographic. I hold on to some of the human characteristics and features as well, which makes it even more disturbing to behold. If I stop moving then the warp grabs hold of me, pulling and distorting my features; my flesh twisting as if being pinched an pulled at like playdough. When I move, I'm far more fluid than normal, from the corner of the eye the movement looks bestial, but head on it's cliinical and almost too natural. If you look away, you have to force yourself to look back and even then it can take a moment for the brain to register. Occasionally he will phase out or become partially transparent. Rolling a successful Dodge could mean you just happened to phase out as the blade swung through where you were, only to phase in again after. The effects though, are purely descriptive and should not in anyway give any bonuses to rolls.

I would say for a Daemonette

Movement

Seductive, sultry and stealthy. The eye is both drawn to and away from the Pseudo-Daemonette; the observer just not quite seeing what they want to see either way. The effect can be very off-putting. She moves with purpose, never fidgeting or slouching. Each action performed with intent and calculated reason. For other scenarios her movements appear predatory, making the observer feel like prey, for the better or worse. The Pseudo-Daemonettes movement and form rely a lot upon her present mood; whether animalistic or clinical; sultry or voracious.

When standing still, the Pseudo-Daemonette commands as much respect as repulsion. Almost more so than her movements, her stillness is exact and clinical; or sultry and aloof as she wishes. As with all Pseudo-Daemons when not moving, the warp grabs hold of her, pulling and distorting her features; her flesh twisting as if being pinched an pulled at like playdough; but this effect is lessened to a degree in the observers mind by her majesty.

Form and Appearence

As above, the Pseudo-Daemonettes movement and form rely a lot upon her present mood. She may appear majesterial or bestial; placid or turgid, but always with keen intent. She'll often appear to grow taller and more impressive when in situations where she needs to command respect and will shrink away if scared or cornered or out of her comfort zone. Pride is often shown with a smug grin and a condascending look, puffed out chest with hand/claw on hips. The Daemonette's Claw appears partially transparent, almost holographic when she becomes angry or upset. At this point her fangs become a lot more prominent as well.

Edited by Apache

I would say for a Daemonette

Movement

Seductive, sultry and stealthy. The eye is both drawn to and away from the Pseudo-Daemonette; the observer just not quite seeing what they want to see either way. The effect can be very off-putting. She moves with purpose, never fidgeting or slouching. Each action performed with intent and calculated reason. For other scenarios her movements appear predatory, making the observer feel like prey, for the better or worse. The Pseudo-Daemonettes movement and form rely a lot upon her present mood; whether animalistic or clinical; sultry or voracious.

When standing still, the Pseudo-Daemonette commands as much respect as repulsion. Almost more so than her movements, her stillness is exact and clinical; or sultry and aloof as she wishes. As with all Pseudo-Daemons when not moving, the warp grabs hold of her, pulling and distorting her features; her flesh twisting as if being pinched an pulled at like playdough; but this effect is lessened to a degree in the observers mind by her majesty.

Form and Appearence

As above, the Pseudo-Daemonettes movement and form rely a lot upon her present mood. She may appear majesterial or bestial; placid or turgid, but always with keen intent. She'll often appear to grow taller and more impressive when in situations where she needs to command respect and will shrink away if scared or cornered or out of her comfort zone. Pride is often shown with a smug grin and a condascending look, puffed out chest with hand/claw on hips. The Daemonette's Claw appears partially transparent, almost holographic when she becomes angry or upset. At this point her fangs become a lot more prominent as well.

I like all of this! Thanks! Note that I included the vid to display the disjointed effect of existing both in he Warp and in reality at the same time. Carriage and blocking would exhibit what was said above.

I've written a much more in-depth guide to playing Pseudo-Daemons here:

http://apachetech.x10.mx/content/Pseudo-Daemonology.pdf

It also gives a few house rules about how to deal with Fear, Warp Instability and Illusion of Normality; and a new item to help with some of the logistics of Warp Instability.

Hope you enjoy.