What does Seduction to Chaos do to a PC/NPC?

By Deinos, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

In the Tome of Excess, it talks about how you can seduce someone to Chaos, and then to the alignment of your God.

This sounds pretty cut and dry: you can totally change someone's alignment, independent of the usual XP process. But it can't be that easy, can it? Or do you simply make it so the person *wants* to start buying abilities of the new chaos god, rather than an instant alignment change?

Likewise, say you seduce an imperial to your chaos god. Is this person immediately going full overboard on Corruption and starting over as a Heretic, mechanically speaking? Or do they have to hit the full 100 Corruption first?

Reason I ask is because:

- Changling alignment takes XP and effort, normally.

- Going from Loyalist to Heretic is portrayed not as simply going "Hey, Chaos is cool" but a process involving going completely insane and corrupt and coming out as a new person. You're very resistant to fear, immune to insanity, etc. Should (lets say we're using someone subject to PC rules) they immediately convert over to Black Crusade, or would they simply be someone who wants to accumulate Corruption?

My take on the Imperialist being seduced is that they start actively working towards their new goals but otherwise stay the same. As underlings not on the path of glory they should still be vulnerable to the effects of insanity and mutation as they accumulate corruption through viler and viler actions in the name of their new god.

You raise a good point though about being seduced to another God. I noticed the rules actually cover seducing another PC to your God which could by quite interesting as they would have had to have a lot of particular skills to be aligned to in the first place. It would certainly be a nice little cheat if you could say "well I have all the Khorne skills I want and oh look now I have been seduced to Slaanesh, now that I am aligned to him I will pick up all his cool skills at the allied skill rating".

I guess the best way to do it would be to say that the character has now become devoted to the other entity and seeks to earn his favour by building the skills/talents and performing actions most pleasing to him. This would make a good role-playing tool but might be a bit frustrating for the affected player if not agreed to before hand as his character concept changes and he has to spend extra points on skills and talents that are opposed skills until he goes back to unaligned and then to aligned to his new God. Also gives a lot of adventure hooks too as his old God might be none to happy about the change of heart and send loyal minions the character's way to show him the error of his ways.

Does anyone else have a take on this?

To me, at the beginning of a Black Crusade campaign, the GM and players should have a frank discussion on stuff like this, and on how fast Infamy/Corruption should be gained, etc. Some GMs don't like the idea of PCs pulling out all the stops to gain Infamy etc, others do. I would somewhat figure it reasonable that in a mixed alignment group everyone's trying to seduce everyone, though. Sounds wrong.

(As a sidenote, this is normally okay, but can get really disipiriting... I had to quit a BC game because after six months we never gained infamy or got closer to achieving the pact no matter how hard we tried).

I do kinda think that there's the ideology component, and the supernatural corruption component, to chaos/alignment, exactly as you say. But this is another thing that the players and GM should agree on before a campaign. What is ironic, though, is they're called Heretics, but it sort of looks like you don't actually choose the chaos lyfe, the chaos lyfe chooses you.

The rules put a lot of emphasis on seducing someone away from an alignment rather than toward one. This suggests to me that the first thing the victim experiences is difficulty getting along with their current "side" as it were.

For example, Khornites might start to feel lazy and require willpower rolls to properly revel in battle, imperial loyalists might feel guilty about some minor secret that they suspect might have been heretical of them, Nurgle worshippers get annoyed by other people being around, Tzeentch followers have trouble following convoluted plans or Slaanesh worshippers could fall in love.

All of these are things that could make it easier to progress, and gain infamy/xp, along another path. The antisocial Nurglite can easier glorify Khorne for infamy than Nurgle because the aftermath is a lot more peaceful. The lazy Khornite finds a Slaaneshi style of alternating between violence and wallowing in luxury to suit him better. The Slaaneshi goes unaligned to keep their beloved safe while the Tzeentchian finds himself preferring Khorne's simplicity. Meanwhile the imperial goes insane.

Just my take on it. I expect that once the target has actually fallen from their original path there will be more work to do to guide them where you want them.

The rules put a lot of emphasis on seducing someone away from an alignment rather than toward one.

Really? I think it says they gain your alignment, although I could be mistaken.