PCs with a Fear Rating vs. Fear Checks

By Apache, in Black Crusade

I wasn't sure about that myself. I'm not sure where the Tyranid Trait is specified though to check. I didn't think so because a few of them have the Fearless Talent. That would be useless if they were naturally immune to fear.

Edited by Apache

I wasn't sure about that myself. I'm not sure where the Tyranid Trait is specified though to check. I didn't think so because a few of them have the Fearless Talent. That would be useless if they were naturally immune to fear.

I know the confusion. I think they're fearless when they're in synapse range.

What I have done in my game is have the difference in fear rating make the test easier.

For example

Tharn (a psychotic Khornate PC in my game) has fear 4

He directly viewed the warp as reality broke around him, Fear 4 test

Seeing as his fear rating is the same as the events he takes an unmodified fear test as opposed to his heretek friend who takes -30.

Tharn will still take fear checks as normal but due to his own bad-assery has a better chance of passing than say a minion, this I think also helps balance characters against psykers who have an insane WP most of the time anyway.

Again, just because your appearance change to resemble something scary as **** doesn't stop you from being scared as **** by scary stuff. A fear rating doesn't imply you became less sensitive to fear inducing things. It's just not logical on any level. Look at yourself in a mirror and you'll probably freak out too (probably even more if you weren't expecting it).

It's a different game of course, but to reinforce his point, in Deathwatch a White Scar can take a trophy rack. If he hands a trophy of some kind on that rack, he then causes Fear in those enemies of the same allegiance as the one he took the trophy from.

Which is the kind of thing that in no way should grand immunity to fear.

At the risk of minorly necroing, doesn't being able to reduce the Shock Table result by your Infamy make you resistant to fear enough?

If you have WP50 and Infamy 50, the average effect from a Bloodthirster on the base roll is 5 degrees of failure (since WP is reduced effectively to 0 by Fear (4) and Daemonic Presence), 50 + 50 for DoF on the Shock Table - 50 from Infamy = you reel with shock and back away.

That's a Bloodthirster, mind you.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

To me that fits perfectly, an insane deranged group of Heretics are shocked and do what any living/thinking being would when seeing a Khornate avatar of war - back away. :)

You have a sentient light bulb. It emits light, constantly and continuously at intensity x. Does its light affect the area around it to its own perception? No, because the light is always on and always there, and there is therefore never an absence of light to perceive.

The light bulb encounters a sentient rock, which emits no light. It perceives the light coming from the sentient light bulb at a certain intensity, modified by distance.

You have a second, nonsentient light bulb. It also emits light at intensity x. The paths between these two lightbulbs is empty.

Does the second light bulb increase the intensity of the light around the first light bulb? Physics says "yes." Therefore, does the first, sentient light bulb perceive the light of the second lightbulb? I would say yes, and by the same magnitude of intensity as the rock perceived the sentient light bulbs' light.

Now imagine that every 'light' in the above four paragraphs is actually the word 'fear.' This is how fear works, as written. I am okay with how fear works, as written.

Also, fear bulbs. Something new for the heretek to design!

Edited by Annaamarth

Meh... Cant be bothered to read all posts...

Fear is a very powerful trait. And Psuedo-Daemonhood is just meh, so you look like a Bloodletter which is Fear 2... But due to the wonky Gift you are as scary as a Bloodthirster. Makes perfect sense, not.

In my group we made Psuedo-Daemonhood Fear 2, but added Daemonic 2 to it instead. Which yes, would make said character count as a daemon in every possible way, an inferior one in some ways though.

Also houseruled it so oft encountered sources of Fear stops being so terrifying. And Fear 1 stuff shouldnt bother a heretic anyway, so no rolls at all for Fear 1. If you live in the Vortex, those slightly scary things are not that scary compared to what you see every day.

And if you are bothered with those houserules. First step, get Jaded. That talent makes it so that only warp-horrors and potentially uber scary xenos bother your sensibilities, you know like 'nids, And it is only tier 1, and lots of archtypes even starts with it. Second, get Resistance(Fear)... Also a tier 1 talent. Invest in WP, something I tell people in every 40k RPG. Granted one of my DH players cant make a Fear check no matter how much WP his character happen to have.

Or just make your own Gift when you get one and give yourself From Beyond trait. The ones in the core book are horribly boring anyway, especially when compared to what was in Tome of Corruption for WFRP2. Not to mention how few there are, and how useless most of them are. Basically the only good ones are "Eye of Chaos", "Wreathed in Chaos", "Mechanoid" and the ones that give Fear, and maybe "Wings".

"Chaos Organ" is pretty neat as well though...

//And why cant I edit my own post? Spammage ensues.

"Just make your own gift," like most "just make up your own rules" variants, isn't really going to work with most GMs. ;)

Well, then most GMs lack imagination :P

The fact is, the Core rule Gifts arent that noteworthy is most cases. PCs on the "Road to Glory" are often there because they want power, ie Gifts should sometimes actually be empowering and not just a +10 bonus to a test. And there are so few that are actually inspiring in any way.

Especially when compared to say WFRP2 Tome of Corruption, in that supplement there is rarely any point to making your own mutation since there are probably over a hundred different mutations + Rewards of Chaos.

But of course, GM should be consulted in all custom Gifts. GM is always final arbiter on what could work.

So far though, i've only made up two personal "Gifts". Wyrd - +1 Psy Rating, and Unholy Strength - +2 Unnatural Strength. hardly the OP kind of stuff. And based on other 40k RPG mutations.