Multiple Cancels

By Old Ben, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

Mauve Butterfly:

If I use Paper Shield to cancel an event and an opponent uses Not Listening to cancel my Paper Shield, can I then play another Paper Shield to cancel the original event or do I need a way of canceling Not Listening?

ktom:

Mauve Butterfly wrote:
If I use Paper Shield to cancel an event and an opponent uses Not Listening to cancel my Paper Shield, can I then play another Paper Shield to cancel the original event or do I need a way of canceling Not Listening?

Either is acceptable.

It doesn't seem to be uncommon for people to think that they only get one shot to cancel an effect (or save a single character from it). I think they extend the "one Response per trigger" rule too far. You can trigger as many separate cancels (or saves) as you like for a single effect. Of course, if your first cancel is successful, there is nothing for your second cancel to Respond to and it becomes illegal, but as in your scenario above, if your first cancel is canceled, you have the option to either add another effect into the "I-cancel-your-cancel-of-my-cancel" chain or to attempt to cancel the original effect a second time with a second cancel effect.

Trump:

One response per trigger? That's only true if your response would somehow cancel the trigger, right?

ktom:

Trump wrote:
One response per trigger? That's only true if your response would somehow cancel the trigger, right?

No. The rule is that if card A has a Response ability and its trigger comes up, you can only use the Response ability one time until the trigger comes around again.

A practical example makes this much easier to see. Take the card from an old set called "Tower of Pyke." It's a location with the ability "Response: after you win an unopposed challenge, claim 1 power for your House." So, if I win a single unopposed challenge, I just trigger this Response 15 times and win the game, right? Well, no. Because I only won 1 unopposed challenge, I can only use the Response 1 time. When I win another unopposed challenge, I can trigger it again, of course.

Or, take the card "Veteran Looters," a character with the ability "Response: After you win an unopposed challenge in which Veteran Looters participated, stand Veteran Looters. Then, discard the top card from each opponent's deck." Say that I win an unopposed challenge and trigger his Response to stand. You cancel the effect with something (there are a lot that can do it). I can just trigger the Response a second time, right? Well, again, no. Because you can only use the Response on each card one time for a single trigger, I can't do that. Of course, if I had a SECOND copy of the Looters in that challenge, I could still trigger the Response on THAT copy of the card, but not on the first copy until the next time I won an unopposed challenge in which it participates.

So, if I win a challenge, I can trigger as many "after you win a challenge" Response effects as I like. However, I can only use each copy of a card WITH an "after you win" Response effect one time each. Make sense?

Trump:

OK. That's the way I thought it worked, where you have multiple responses to a trigger if you have multiple sources for the responses. I just thought you were saying something different about multiple responses.