Newbie question: You Find Nothing Of Interest?

By xdarkridex, in Mansions of Madness

Hey there, new to MoM, and can't seem to find an answer to this one. Likely missing something obvious, so here goes:

I get the reason behind You Find Nothing Of Interest cards when seeding the random, empty rooms. But what possible reason is there to have a locked container with an item -and- a 'you find nothing of interest' card? So you find a shotgun...and nothing of interest. Wha? I can't find a single reason to do this. The rules seem to clearly state the exploring investigator receives ALL cards in the room/container he's exploring, so what's the point?

Welcome to the forum and probably the best game ever!!! [ :) ]

From the Investigators perspective they do not know it's a NOI card. When they look at the stack they have to consider the possibility that it may be several items or...better yet... a clue.

Sure its not so fun to uncover one but that's the point. Keep them guessing.

Edited by thecoldwarrior

That makes perfect sense. Never thought of that, but of course I've only run through two games so far. Right now, it is definitely my favorite game.

Yeah, the only problem is that if you see any pile of 2 or more exploration cards that aren't guarded by a lock, then you already KNOW they are NOIs.

This is why random seeding is much better. Not even the Keeper knows.

This brings up a different point though. Analyzing a game too much takes away from the fun. In this example it's easy to see and not really overly analytic.

When we play Caracssonne it's literally stacks of tiles from many sets. If you try to play it with a specific set(s) some people tend to analyze what tiles have been played and what is left. While there is nothing wrong with that it is not fun in my opinion. I tend to remove some cards or tiles from games so that no one knows for sure if that one card or tile is in there or not. This way they stop trying to gain an advantage and play the actual game instead.

Hey there, new to MoM, and can't seem to find an answer to this one. Likely missing something obvious, so here goes:

I get the reason behind You Find Nothing Of Interest cards when seeding the random, empty rooms. But what possible reason is there to have a locked container with an item -and- a 'you find nothing of interest' card? So you find a shotgun...and nothing of interest. Wha? I can't find a single reason to do this. The rules seem to clearly state the exploring investigator receives ALL cards in the room/container he's exploring, so what's the point?

The stack size has to be identical regardless of the keeper choices. That explains it for most cases. Otherwise, it can be a lure.

This is why random seeding is much better. Not even the Keeper knows.

Even when the keeper is given a seeding choice (Yellow Sign) I'll still make it random. Why should I have to burn my brain to choose seeding rooms when the element of discovery is more fun?

One exception: it's good to know which rooms have the Actor cards in House of Fears.

Wouldn't random seeding work just fine as long as certain story specific cards (i.e., clues, actor cards, ) are discounted from the random seeding? I never liked putting specific items in certain rooms as it affects replay value a bit.

Wouldn't random seeding work just fine as long as certain story specific cards (i.e., clues, actor cards, ) are discounted from the random seeding? I never liked putting specific items in certain rooms as it affects replay value a bit.

We haven't run into this yet - we've been juggling between stories and so people aren't always particularly good at remembering where the items are. Heck, I have a hard time remembering where the plot points are as keeper sometimes. Would you just change the location of everything that's not story related then?

By "random seeding" I mean, when I'm given a choice where to place stuff, I just place it randomly. I still follow the seeding instructions.

Topple, an almost-random seeding is the only seeding option for the PoD "The Laboratory", and it works very well (for that adventure, at least). Maybe you could find this one interesting.

The first 2 scenarios we played we unintentionally used random seeding on empty rooms, cause I didn't quite read the rules enough to notice it. It was a bit strange when powerful items showed up. Also it can break the intention of some scenario related features, like breaking locks to a door opened by a time token card later or by finding it in a clue, and solving puzzles through items etc.

If you could mark the items as weak/powerful in a simple way you could maybe random seed with weaker items on the empty rooms. The game is hard to balance as it is without random god-sent super items showing up.

Call of the Wild does this to some extent. Cards are mostly randomly seeded. If I remember correctly, some of the scenarios have divided the cards into two "power levels" before distributing them.

Hi everyone. New at the forum. Played Fall of House Lynch for the first time with my friends two days ago - it went well.

Concerning the Explore-rule and those NOI-cards I´ve suggested for my players a new rule. When you explore you only get to see the first card and the first explored card should be the most obvious find (a corpse, or some large item). If you want to explore more, then you have to spend another actionpoint (stay for one more turn). Irl it would probably take some time to search an entire room, especially if you´re afraid and its pretty dark. Looking through shelves, coffins, cubboards, closets, cabinets, lockers and so on takes time so I guess it adds more realism.

Next time we will play by this rule but will also give the players some extra turns before we turn the Eventcards. Otherwise, I find NOI pretty lame and it has no function.