Would this be a dirty move as GM?

By Ken on Cape, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG

grftI'm going to dissent with the majority opinion and say that it's NOT a dirty move. In fact, depending on how you do it, and how often you utilize it, it's an excellent GM tool that all you close-minded folks should be considering!

Can't say I agree with your examples. All of them can be achieved in other ways that doesn't mess with the point or purpose of the Destiny pool.

Any old dog that's run Fate, Savage Worlds, or Warhammer knows that you gotta get out there once in the beginning, wreck the point pool, and have your players flip the table over on top of you before the point economy really makes sense :) Let him take his licks. It'll build character :)

I am having the opposite problem at the moment, my party seem afraid to use Destiny Points's as it means that I have DP's to use against them. They seem willing to write off a complete mechanic in order to deny the dark side points to me.I don't even need to use DP's to cause them problems, they are more than capable of dumping themselves in Bantha Poodoo without my help.

But in related news, yes that would no be cool. A GM should challenge the players and provide a story that they can show off in. It should be tough but fair.

E

Edited by eldath

grftI'm going to dissent with the majority opinion and say that it's NOT a dirty move. In fact, depending on how you do it, and how often you utilize it, it's an excellent GM tool that all you close-minded folks should be considering!

Can't say I agree with your examples. All of them can be achieved in other ways that doesn't mess with the point or purpose of the Destiny pool.

Any old dog that's run Fate, Savage Worlds, or Warhammer knows that you gotta get out there once in the beginning, wreck the point pool, and have your players flip the table over on top of you before the point economy really makes sense :) Let him take his licks. It'll build character :)

I've GM'd in dozens of systems over the past 30+ years. I've got enough character, thanks.

One thing that I've learned in that time is that messing with the mechanics and the game economy from time to time, in a controlled fashion, is an excellent tool to create increased diversity in the hands of an experienced GM.

I've GM'd in dozens of systems over the past 30+ years. I've got enough character, thanks.

One thing that I've learned in that time is that messing with the mechanics and the game economy from time to time, in a controlled fashion, is an excellent tool to create increased diversity in the hands of an experienced GM.

Not getting into a saber swinging contest, just pointing out that it is a tactic that is more exception than rule. If tastefully done of course it can have a fun, dramatic effect. The spirit of the OP's original querey is more in adversary mode, which most here agree is not always in the best interest of your table. :) Cheers.

Edited by Keeop