Pegasus: Executions... and possibly other questions.

By Rullys, in Battlestar Galactica

I just bought the Pegasus expansion, not long after purchasing the base game. Haven't played with the expansion yet, but I've noticed that executing a human doesn't have any serious consequence. What's to keep players from executing anyone suspicious just to find out who the cylon is? Loss of 1 moral? Not a big deal it seems, considering the fact that moral can be gained through various means. Discard skill cards? That player draws up skill cards on his next turn anyway. Executing a President or Admiral? The title doesn't change hands unless the player who was executed doesn't choose a replacement character next in the line of succession. Is this a feature that needs to be played to realize the negative affects it has on a human player? I like the idea behind it; it just doesn't seem to have much of a downside for the humans.

I included "other questions" in this thread to potentially include more Pegasus-related questions as I come accross them, rather than creating a new topic. Thanks.

Some people do consider it strong for exactly that reason. If you're even remotely suspicious - execute them. In theory, a human player should largely welcome the chance to be executed to prove their loyalty. However several things all added up help to mitigate the airlock without making it useless. One of those things comes with Exodus. I still would prefer a much bigger penalty for execution, so that humans would only use it when they're SURE, rather than using it when they SUSPECT.

1. The loss of morale is the least of the humans concerns

2. The loss of cards for an entire turn can be game-losing. It can be mitigated if you execute someone just before their turn, but still, an empty hand of cards is *brutal* most of the time

3. Wasting a turn. Humans can hardly afford to spend turns on actions that achieve nothing

4. Wasting cards. If you're throwing down to execute someone, presumably they're throwing down to save themselves... I've seen a heap of cards going down for an execution. To the point where humans could seriously consider whether they'd be better off just letting the cylon reveal and take a super crisis

5. Executing a cylon gives them a "free trip" to the resurrection ship. In some cases it might be better to make them use an action to reveal. The reveal powers are kinda weak usually, so it has been argued in my group that we'd be better off brigging them to mitigate their threat, rather than sending them to the resurrection ship where they can start acting straight away

6. In Exodus, if a human is executed they come back with a new loyalty card, so their loyalty is no longer guaranteed

Some of those reasons sort of make execution feel... different to how you'd expect execution to go. But, all-in-all we have found execution to be less useful than you might think. "Free" executions, like Cally's, are quite handy though. It removes a lot of the wasted turns/cards/etc and sends the cylon packing without a super crisis.

Thanks for your reply. I had my first BSG Pegasus game on the 4th (minus New Caprica & Cylon Leaders), and it was as if the gods of Kobal heard my whining. Within the first few turns everyone turned against me after I vocally suspected someone to be a Cylon. Everyone assumed I was tryin to pin the blame on him and I was the Cylon myself -- which couldn't have been further from the truth. We find out that I was right... after they executed me as Chief. #4 on your list was what hurt the most; everyone was confident I wss the Cylon and so they paid big time to be sure I was thrown out of the ship. Soon after I picked my new character (another support, Dee) we began losing crisis rounds, depleting our recources, significantly our moral... until we hit 2 and Dee was execute, losing us another moral. We finally lost after a long struggle to stay afloat by loss of moral.

While I still don't think the consequence is strong enough, I could see why it may not be a good idea to just kill everyone on the ship. I think the Exodus feature of recieving a new loyalty card is a great one and a step in the right direction. Looking forward to it.

I believe when Dee is executed due to low morale, the humans don't lose another morale. Other than that...

told you so :)

I just realized that late yesterday, lol. Should have read the character card properly.