Speedy Gonzalez - Col Serra/Speeders

By Hida77, in Star Wars: The Card Game - Strategy

Hey all, after having tried a Smuggler/Jedi mix with it I thought I might post the Rebel/Smuggler list I had come up with running the new S&S Objective, see what ya'll thought.

Obviously the idea is to be able to dominate the edge battle with Speeders and/or the last defense of Hoth, which should allow you to frequently punish the DS decks on the attack before they can stop you. Don't Get Cocky also helps, since it add some extra damage when you need it. Also worth mentioning that Col Serra + Survival Gear = LOL. Obviously you never start Rebel Fleet if you dont have to. Is a little unfortunate that A Stining Insult will likely be dead a lot of the time, but can still be randomly amazing.

Smuggler Affiliation

Objectives:

2xLast Defense of Hoth

2xPrepared for Battle

2xHoth Operations

2xDefense of Yavin 4

2xThe Rebel Fleet

Units:

2xHome One

2xCol Serra

2xRogue 3

2xRed 2

2xWedge Antilles

4xY-Wing

2xSnowspeeder

4xACC-1 Speeder Tank

2xRonegade Squadron X-Wing

2xHoth Scout

2xRepair Droid

2xTauntaun

2xRenegeade Squadron Recruit

Enhancements:

2xAstromech Droid Upgrade

4xHidden Base

2xHoth Survival Gear

Events:

2xRebel Assualt

2xShelter from the Storm

2xA Stining Insult

2xDon't Get Cocky

Fate:

4xTarget of Opportunity

Let me know what you think =)

I wish I liked this deck, but so far, I don't. I still prefer to drop Prep for Battle for Prep for Evac and swap out Last Defense for Renegade Squadron Mobilization. Unfortunately, Last Defense is terrible. There isn't a card outside of the objective itself I'd want in this deck, personally. You'll rarely get a chance to play Stinging Insult, and Col only has one unit damage, which is definitely not worth the hassle. Don't Get Cocky is a little more likely, but still not a common situation. Col isn't good enough to justify the rest of his set by any means.

As far as prep for battle, this is a bit more preference. I hate that set. The only reason to play it is the lack of speeders you can get elsewhere, and for me that just isn't reason enough. I have had too many games where I'm choking on my 4 of AACs without Hoth Operations down. Shielding is nice in the right deck, but I don't feel this is the right deck.

I have a very different experience with Prep for Battle. The Speeder Tanks are one of my favorite units, since the combo of shielding plus tactics means you can feint with them to draw defenders off the important fights very easily. If you look at most of the lightside decks that won regional tourniments earlier this year you'll find most of them run Prep for Battle once it was released.

I tried a similiar version of this deck, with more smugglers and less rebels. It was okay, but it was really hurting for speed with only hoth operations providing a good number of early blast icons. I think throwing in rebel fleet and defense of yavin 4 probably go a long way towards solving that problem.