Change enemy die roll to 1 - question please

By deathpinball, in Relic

There are 3 items that allow a player to change the enemy die roll to a 1. They say 'during a <type> combat'. Can this happen anytime during that combat, even after the player has rolled their die? It seems to be so given that text, however there are many other similar cards which allow the player to change their die roll but only during their roll die step. And the rules specifically say in the player die roll step that this is when you can play a card to change the player die roll. So in parallel, would the enemy die roll only be changed during the enemy die roll step (and hence before the player rolls their die)? Please reference an appropriate rule in response please as I've not yet found a rule in the PDF to clarify this. As far as I can tell, the 'during a <type> combat' on the card is the only specific timing I've seen and thus this seems to be allowed at any time in combat even after the player knows his/her result.

Rules don't actually say anything specific about rerolling the enemy's die, only talk about the player rerolling his battle roll (during step 4). I've been using enemy rerolls as taking place during step 3 (Roll Battle Die Enemy), because to me that makes the most sense and fits with when the player reroll takes place.