Sustaining psy powers

By Bcsordas, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Hi,

We had a discussion about sustaining the psy powers. In the book there is very small paragraph about this, and it is not clear how long someon is able to keep up a power, especialy those with free action to sustain.

Player feels that she can sustain a free action power indefinitely. ie boost up in the morning and then have all the powers running till she sleeps.

GM argued a free action is still something like reading and needs a moments thought not like breathing that goes automatic. a concentration one is unable to muster 24 hours a day. And so powers sustained this way are sustained for the current scene but not longer then that.

We want to follow the rules but sadly I was not able to find anything in the books to decide it, but maybe I was missed something.

Thank you for your help.

You can sustain something as long as the character can perform the action, i.e. the sustain ends if you're stunned. unconscious or any other time you can't perform the necessary action to sustain.

Free Action sustain means you can keep something on the whole day if you want to. Until you get stunned or something that causes you to not being able to perform the needed action.

As for the GM's argument: reading is usually automatic when it's a language you're fluent in and the text is legable, which kinda makes it's as automatic as breathing. It's the same with talking. Usually you don't think when speaking. You're concentrating enough to perform the tasks, but they take so little time and effort, they count as Free Actions. If you're stunned you can't concentrate enough to even perform Free Actions though, which is also why you can't sustain even if only a Free Action is needed.

I have a question. Didnt wanted to creat new topic so writing in this one.

Sustaining powers... For every power u sustain you extract 1 from your psy rating (except u are sustaining only power). What is happening when your psyrating reaches 0? You cannot manifest any next power. Thats clear, but what about this powers you are already sustaining?

And what about variables which vary depending on your psy-rating?

Example:

If u have psy-rating 5 and sustaining two powers.

Firstly manifested: Warpspeed. Unnatural WS, BS and Ag equal to your psy-rating.

And secondly manifested... Mind over matter.

Do i have Unnatural characteristics +5 (my psy rating when i manifested power) or +3 (actual psy-rating)?

Similar question with Mind over Matter... can i lift 40kg ([my psy rating when i manifested power] x 10kg) or 30kg [(actual psy-rating]x10kg)

And last queastion in subject... Sustained powers manifested on fettered or push level.

Thanks for help :-)

PS.

Not sure if i my english is perfect. Thats not my first language : ]

Thank you : )

Now i have arguments to discuss with my GM.

Aaaand... i have next question : P

Sustaining same power multiple times... i belive that in DH that was restricted (with few exceptions), but couldn't find enythink about that in BC. Is taht mean i can sustain precision telekinesis twice?

I have vision of psyker rising two plasma cannon as they were his puppets.

Is that legal?

If yes... thats seems like i can use both of weapons withut usual penalties for two weapon fighting. Can fire them both in half action i need spend to sustain powers, and still have half action.

Is my interpretation correct?

Warning, arguing with a GM is hazardous to your character health.

Using the same power multiple times however, your GM should draw the line on what is acceptable and balanced but I can see nothing saying you cant. Using two weapons or lifting two items at the same time, cool and probably fine but using Warptime twice to double buff I would say no. However ask your GM for the final say.

As to the double plasma shooting, well you are testing on your WP roll rather than BS.

This one for Dark Heresy (the original broken rule set for the 40 universe)

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/6339-telekinesis-and-precision-telekinesis/

The debate there suggests that you might be able to try it but it would be somewhat taxing and you might only be able to manage a single shot with each of them.

Again, feel free to take them with some salt.

Thanks for answer, that helps.

IIRC buffs from psychic powers never stack- so stacking two warptimes, or a warptime and a shattertime, never does any good, explicitly.

So you COULD stack two warptimes, but it would do no good.

Regarding sustaining Precision Telekinesis twice: sustaining it grants you the ability to use telekinesis to do anything you'd otherwise do with your own body. Nothing happens if you manifest and sustain it twice — you still have the same benefit. You don't manifest the power per weapon you want to wield (simulating multiple arms) for example. You're bound by what actions you can do without the power (ignoring the extended range you can do stuff at and the characteristic replacement).

Hello.

May psyker sustain two powers with Concentration subtype?

There are two powers: Manifest Flame (Fate book, p. 60) and One with the Flame (same, p. 62). For manifesting One with the Flame psyker needs open fire source (lighter, yeah:) ), and the first power has description:

the real benefit of this power is that it provides a flame
for the psyker to manipulate with other abilities.

But both powers have Concentration subtype, and in the battle character may do only one action with subtypes Concentration, Attack. And for casting next power psyker must stop first. It is a little bit confusing.

Edited by Talissera

Sustaining a power does not count as using the power, as far as I know.

Sustaining a power does not count as using the power, as far as I know.

...and thus maintaining a Concetration-power does not equate a Concentration-type action.

That's my reading as well, though it seems a bit odd when you think about it.