Flexible Warfare - Activating non-Oath Squad Modes

By Vehem2, in Deathwatch House Rules

Just looking for a quick "Sanity Check" here - can anyone see any obvious issues with the following for a group looking to be a little more flexible in the use of Squad Modes? Whilst it reduces the emphasis on pre-planning and the importance of selecting the most appropriate Oath, it does still penalise a poor decision due to the costs to Cohesion.

Flexible Warfare

You may activate Squad Mode Abilities not available to your current Oath, but doing so requires a Challenging (+0) Tactics Test ( Assault Doctrine for Attack Patterns, Defensive Doctrine for Defensive Stances) and you must pay double the normal activation cost in Cohesion. If the test is failed, the Action is still spent, but the Cohesion cost is not paid.

I can't see any problem with it, the increased Cohesion cost makes this more of a last ditch solution rather than a universal solution to all problems. It also represents well the Astartes' vaunted adaptability, which a completely rigid system for squad modes doesn't really fit. You might however want to precise how Cohesion cost reducers interact with this; are they applied before or after the multiplier? I'd recommend the former, to keep them as relevant, but it may make them too useful.

You might however want to precise how Cohesion cost reducers interact with this; are they applied before or after the multiplier?

Fair point - I think I'll have to side with "Multiplier before Modifier" for the sake of consistency with the other mechanics that use both multiplicative and additive modifiers. Had our first session using it the other night - or rather not using it. The option of using a non-Oath ability was discussed, but ultimately they went with another option (though for reasons of it making more tactical sense, rather than the cost). I'll keep the thread updated with any significant comments on how it plays out as they occur.