Wings of War miniatures adpated for Dawn patrol game

By MK2, in Wings of War

Purchased the magnets here:
K&J Magnetics - Strong Neodymium Rare Earth Magnet Products

used this to glue them:

Loctite Consumer Retail Products | Product Detail

I modified the stands for wings of wars and changed it to magnet based so that they would be interchangeable between my Dawn patrol games and Wings of War games etc:

wings of War

mag_01.jpg

mag_02.jpg

Dr1isdowned.jpg

CamelScores.jpg

finalboard.jpg

DP01.jpg

stacked_furball.jpg

and someone on these foruyms gave me the styrofoam idea for the Balloons...thank you whoever you were...it worked!

balloon_supplies.jpg

Balloonprep.jpg

Drachen_under_attack.jpg

American_Balloon_company.jpg

Hi Mk2!

I was going to discuss your use of tiny rare-earth magnets, but your map boards distracted me... they are stunning! Did you paint them yourself and are they under glass or perspex?

Back to the point... I've used 2mm magnets for gaming figures and was trying to figure a way to use them with WoW. I see you've utilised them to enable you to use the same miniatures in both games, where my need is to modify other manufacturers' 1/144 scale models to use in WoW. I was considering using the Litko acrylic flight stands, but had yet to figure out a way to allow for altitude changes (as the Litko rods appear to be fixed even though they come in various lengths). Both of your solutions are elegant, but as I don't have a ready supply of the WoW rods, I need to find an alternative... hmmm back to the drawing board I fear!

Nonetheless, your pics are an inspiration!

P.S. I've just noticed the Memoir '44 boxes in your bookcase. That's what I was using the 2mm magnets for. One per infantry figure onto a 50mm, green-painted steel washer with green felt on the underside - works a charm!

It is etched plexi glass. I have square spaces and hexagonal depending on the game I want to play. My buddy painted them, he is a great artist!

IMHO you can still go to magents universally instead of anything else. It is so much easier.

Use the flight stands you want to use and adapt a magnet at the end of it...then do the same for planes. easy , quick and simple.

So if i understand correctly you need ot create a WOW stand for other planes right?

That's exactly it.

Although there's some variation, the average price for Series III Wow minis is AU$22-AU$24 (US$15-US$17) so you can see at these prices, that buying three series of these at 12 aircraft per series would put a serious dent in the finances (and I'm sure the missus would put a serious dent in me! preocupado.gif )

I do have a couple of the series 1 minis as I wanted the extra flight decks and I may even pickup a few more over time, but I'm not willing to part with that much dough for one game. So, as there is quite a range of 1/144 available - more so WWII than WWI, I'm looking to adapt models from both periods to WoW and DoW.

The major concern with this plan was coming up with an adjustable altitude system similar to that used on the WoW minis. I don't know if you've visited the Litko site - litkoaero.com (which wasn't working just now!), but they have stands suitable for WoW, but without posts. They sell posts in different lengths, but as I read their instructions, it seems the post is permanent once fitted, hence my dilemma.

Tell your buddy his maps rock!

ara398 said:

That's exactly it.

Although there's some variation, the average price for Series III Wow minis is AU$22-AU$24 (US$15-US$17) so you can see at these prices, that buying three series of these at 12 aircraft per series would put a serious dent in the finances (and I'm sure the missus would put a serious dent in me! preocupado.gif )

I do have a couple of the series 1 minis as I wanted the extra flight decks and I may even pickup a few more over time, but I'm not willing to part with that much dough for one game. So, as there is quite a range of 1/144 available - more so WWII than WWI, I'm looking to adapt models from both periods to WoW and DoW.

The major concern with this plan was coming up with an adjustable altitude system similar to that used on the WoW minis. I don't know if you've visited the Litko site - litkoaero.com (which wasn't working just now!), but they have stands suitable for WoW, but without posts. They sell posts in different lengths, but as I read their instructions, it seems the post is permanent once fitted, hence my dilemma.

Tell your buddy his maps rock!

I mix Wow miniatures together with cheaper Red eagle minatures, not so much for the price but because Wow have a rather limited selection of planes right now, and tin planes are easier to modify.

But I use Wow stands for the tin planes also.

However I do have a good solution for you that I myself used for Bluemax 2nd edition a few years ago, that was in 1/72 but it should work well for 1/144 too.

Ypue need 4 different altitudes so use antennas to symbolise the altidtudes, I had antennas made for RC planes but anything that is quite small should work.

Here is a drawing from the eaglesmax webbpage, it is not exactly the same solution I used but close enough since I don't have any pictures of my system: www.eaglesmax.com/CE/ANTENNA.PDF They also have this very helpful system for rodstands: www.eaglesmax.com/CE/RODSTAND.PDF

Here is a picture (that is not mine) of antennas being used: wwi1.jpg

To the OP: Wow, your friend should sell those boards, they are really great :D

Very nice maps!

How much work was involved in adapting the miniatures? I mean how much time per mini?

Here is an example of the opposite: Tin planes converted to fit the Wings of WAR stands...

Picture001edited.jpg?t=1246664364