Making my first charater an Iron Warrior

By Caïn2, in Black Crusade

Hey all would be greatful for any suggestions for a build that would become an iron warrior.

Mostly Im looking for ideas or things that I may have not thought of.

Thanks

A little More information is needed beyond "I want to build an iron warrior" What kind of role are you looking to fill? do you already have an idea of what your character will be like? without this kind of information, there's entirely too much information to cover, and not a whole lot we can do

well I'd reccomend the ancient warrior talent to start with. other then that just about anything works. I'd also suggest as a iron warrior you look towards aquireing a heavy weapon.

More research it is then.

I'd reccomend reading "Storm of Iron" if you haven;'t already as well as angel exterminatis.

It would be interesting to see how close to being a 'tech marine' you could get at character creation.

Archontremaine said:

It would be interesting to see how close to being a 'tech marine' you could get at character creation.

Not very close unless you houserule stuff.

BrianDavion said:

I'd reccomend reading "Storm of Iron" if you haven;'t already as well as angel exterminatis.

"Dark Sky Black Sun" and "The Chapter's Due" are the sequels to Storm of Iron (and also books 3 and 6 of the rather decent Uriel Ventris series), they provide even more insight into post-heresy Iron Warriors. They are also much, much better books.

Angel Exterminatus is an excellent book but like all Horus Heresy books it's worth bearing in mind that it's set 10,000 years in the past and things have changed somewhat since then.

Archontremaine said:

Tech skill, use your aquisition rules for mechandrites, what else would you suggest? I am now genueienly interested.

BrianDavion said:

"Dark Sky Black Sun" and "The Chapter's Due" are the sequels to Storm of Iron (and also books 3 and 6 of the rather decent Uriel Ventris series), they provide even more insight into post-heresy Iron Warriors. They are also much, much better books.

Angel Exterminatus is an excellent book but like all Horus Heresy books it's worth bearing in mind that it's set 10,000 years in the past and things have changed somewhat since then.

True, I reccomend Angel exterminatus more in a case of being able to look back at what they where. as an iron warrior, odds are your character may remember the heresy. thus the books are good in giving a picture of things

Basically comes down to role-playing. Iron Warriors are calm & considered, pedantic & logical, unless forcing a breach & then they are vicious; merciless; & almost berzerker like.

'Ancient warrior' is useful if you want a marine from the great crusade, but there are Iron Warriors created recently. 'Storm of Iron' focuses upon one of these 'new' Iron Warriors.

All you really need is tech-use & may-be trade (Armourer). After that, anything to do with engineering & Siege/fortification.

If you care, there is the 'Index Astates:- Iron Warriors' article. It appeared in White Dwarf a loooong time ago, but I think Black Library has a compendium of it. Might be print-on-demand.

Not terribly essential; after all, your Iron Warrior is wandering about without his great company or War-smith, so he is an atypical example.

Archontremaine said:

Tech skill, use your aquisition rules for mechandrites, what else would you suggest? I am now genueienly interested.

Closest you could get, by the rules, would just be to spend your beginning aquisitions on Mechanicus Assimilation (I think you can just about afford it?) and something else obviously robotic. You could get Mechadendrites, but without being a Heretek, you wouldn't be able to use them (You need Mechanicus Implants to use Mechadendrites), so you'd have to discuss with your GM about allowing you to maybe purchase Mechanicus Implants as an Elite Advance or something. Not sure what they're called in Black Crusade.

Archontremaine said:

Closest you could get, by the rules, would just be to spend your beginning aquisitions on Mechanicus Assimilation (I think you can just about afford it?) and something else obviously robotic. You could get Mechadendrites, but without being a Heretek, you wouldn't be able to use them (You need Mechanicus Implants to use Mechadendrites), so you'd have to discuss with your GM about allowing you to maybe purchase Mechanicus Implants as an Elite Advance or something. Not sure what they're called in Black Crusade.

No such thing as elite advances, just the multiplier for being associated with the god who favours those skills, so..you can get Mechandrite use, uses up all starting xp mind. So you would have to ask nicely to trade something for tech use. Oh..ahh see what you mean. Hmm. Maybe get the skill and have the Mechandrites built into PA then. Would be an ask, but would also fit, especially with all the Warpsmith fluff now coming out of GW.

Edited by Archontremaine

Based upon DeathWatch and BC Champion, I have created the basic archtype for a Techmarine as follows :

- Skills (4N1) : Tech Use, Common Lore (Adeptus Mechanicus, Tech), Logic and Linguistics (Techna-Lingua)
- Talents (2N1, 1N2) : Mechandendrites Training (Servo-Arm), Meditation or Total Recall, Die Hard or Technical Knock
- Starting Gear : Servo-Arm, Legion Bolt Pistol (+2 Spare Clips),
- Special Ability : Mechanicus Implants (including one Good Craftsmanship Cybernetics)

Considering Iron Warriors, I think this could match the basics for a Warpsmith (even if those should be detailed in the "Tome of Nurgle", I prefer to start with basic characters and a certain amount of XP than with the archtypes of the Tomes).

But all Iron Warriors are not warpsmiths (Chosen, Champion or Sorcerer could match other roles within the Legion or warband). Talents that could match Iron Warriors are, according to me :

- Tier 1 : Ancient Warrior (for those who already served during the Heresy), Cold Hearted, Ferric Summons (Warpsmiths), Technical Knock, Weapon Tech, Die Hard, Iron Jaw, Combat Formation

- Tier 2 : Armour Monger, Luminen Shock (Warpsmiths), Marksman, Mechadendrite Use (Warpsmiths), Storm of Iron, Hardy, Nerves of Steel, Prosanguine, Unshakeable Will, Iron Discipline, Crack Shot, Foresight

- Tier 3 : Bolter Drill, Luminen Blast (Warpsmith), Master Engineer, Target Selection, Fearless, Mighty shot, Never Die, True Grit

For the Skills : Tech Use, Navigation, Logic, Security

For the Characteristics : BS, T, Int

And for the gear : Cybernetics and Heavy Weapons

If you can wait for it then the Nurgle book might just be your thing as I am guessing the IW archetype is in there.

Sadly I don't know how far away it is from hitting the shelves.