Martell Deck for Review

By player1452426, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Hey All-

I'm fairly new to the game, having just played casually with a group of friends at home as we all strive to learn the basics, but stumbled upon these forums and figured I could use some veteran insights on the build I have been using exclusively in our n00b group. Below is a moderately limited collection (we own probably 1/4 to 1/3 of the overall card pool) Martell Kings of Summer based design. In practice, it's done well against a novice Targaryen / Dragon build, an unrefined Stark / Kings of Winter deck, a Core-based Baratheon rush creation, and is fairly evenly matched against a Lannister Power Behind the Throne design. Any advice on card additions / subtractions and / or cards to acquire in order to improve it are welcome. Thanks for reading.

House (1)
House Martell (Core) x1

Agenda (1)
Kings of Summer (ASoS) x1

Plot (7)
A Song of Summer (ASoS) x1
A Time for Ravens (ACoS) x1
To the Spears! (PotS) x1
Loyalty Money Can Buy (QoD) x1
Wildfire Assault (Core) x1
Muster the Realm! (QoD) x1
Tourney for the Hand (Core) x1

Character (32)
House Dayne Reserves (PotS) x2
Ellaria Sand (PotS) x3
The Red Viper (PotS) x3
Maester of the Sun (ASoS) x3
Starfall Cavalry (MotA) x2
Knights of the Sun (ASoS) x3
Gilly (RoW) x1
Starfall Bannerman (ASoS) x2
Darkstar (PotS) x1
Ser Arthur Dayne (TWoW) x2
Paramour (PotS) x2
Ser Arys Oakheart (PotS) x1
Myrcella Lannister (KotS) x1
Harmen Uller (PotS) x1
Carrion Bird (ASoS) x2
Lord Edric's Knight (PotS) x2
Arianne Martell (PotS) x1

Location (13)
Dornish Fiefdoms (PotS) x3
Lord Doran's Chambers (PotS) x1
Summer Sea (PotS) x3
Water Garden (PotS) x3
Palace Fountains (PotS) x3

Attachment (6)
Black Raven (ASoS) x2
Taste for Blood (PotS) x3
Dawn (TRS) x1

Event (9)
Red Vengeance (PotS) x3
Summer Reserves (SA) x2
He Calls It Thinking (PotS) x2
Blood for Blood (PotS) x2

You currently have no restricted card. So, i'd probably start looking at one of the great restricted cards that Martell has to offer.

I'd also look at cutting the House Dayne Reserves. They are just so expensive for what they do. Sure, you could lose a intrigue challenge to get them into play but thats to inconsistent to count on.

I would also cut Ellaria down to at least a 2 of if not a 1 of. She is a great character but general rule of thumb is to only play 1 of a unique character unless you want to see it a good amount of the time. Then you play it as a 2 of. If it ends up being one of the power house cards of the deck like The Red Viper, then 3 of isn't a bad choice.

I'd probably find room to make Carion bird a 3 of and then find room for 2 Samwel Tarly as he is a great draw option when your playing a season deck.

I'm not personally sold on Ser Arthur Dayne as you are probably going to have a good chunk of characters in play, so he is really a 5 str character and thats it. I might cut him in this deck. In something like Martell Knights Of The Hollow Hill where your building to have only a few characters on the board, he isn't bad at all.

You have 9 limited locations. You can only play 1 limited card per turn. Your going to get clogged up on your setups and keeping up with your opponent's economy. I'd cut down to 6 limited locations as that is the max you want to be playing in a 60 card deck. Try adding in things like Street Of Sisters, Street Of Steel and maybe a River row. I'd cut the Water Gardens for those since your wanting to play Red Vengeance and Palace Fountain is the best limited stay in play reducer there is in the game.

There are also a bunch of great Martell Locations your missing out on. Take a look at Lost Oasis. It is a great location for any Martell deck. Don't leave home without it.

Between your Events and Attachments you have 15 cards that can't be played during setup. I'd try to cut that down to 12. Generally people don't like to play more then 12 Attachments/events as it hurts your setup pretty bad when you do that. If you cut Ser Arthur Dayne, then you can cut Dawn as well. Then you could cut something from your events to bring you down to 12. I'd say either Summer Reserves or Blood for Blood. I personally couldn't ever get Blood for Blood to workout for me but thats just me. Without you playing the armies theme, i'd probably cut the Summer Reserves as you don't really need anymore characters then you already have.

Kings of Summer (ASoS) x1

is his restricted...

Haha derp. Didn't even notice that myself. Gah i must have been tired when i posted that. XD

Some suggestions and reasoning, i'm not gong to necessarily suggest other cards as you may not have them in your card pool but i will make comments based on what SHOULDNT be there in my humble opinion.

PLOTS

Wildfire Assault : Not a fan of this card and would suggest Valor as your 'reset' if possible

Muster The Realm : i don't think is a great fit but you may have included just for the gold

CHARACTERS

I personally like House Dayne purely for when you lose intrigue challenges

Elaria Sand i would reduce to running two copies

Two Carrion birds is enough, in fact i would run one unless Samuel is in the mix

I would scrap Arthur Dayne

I would run two copies of Arianne

LOCATIONS

Loads of good locations available in you should 100% include Lost Oasis

Far to many Limited location cards that will affect setup/ play

ATTACHMENTS

Scrap Dawn

The fundamentals are there, just needs tweaking, hope this helps

Edited by Daenarys