Command Skill

By Gornon, in Only War Rules Questions

I had some questions regarding the rule's use of the word "follower" in the command skill. What is a "follower", or more importantly, can player characters count as followers? I will be playing a Commissar in an upcoming game and I want to know if I can use the "Inspire" ability on my fellow players.

Couple thoughts:

A) Strictly applying a definition to follower, I would say absolutely - but only because you're playing a Commissar. As per fluff, commissars operate outside the structure of the IG and have a wide latitude to act as they see fit in the battlefield. As such, many commissars are feared and I would imagine that most Guardsmen will "follow" the orders of a commissar. On the other hand, and in keeping with a strict interpretation, I would say that other specialties that use the Command Skill may not always have their orders heeded by others in a squad who may not follow their orders (i.e., a lowly trooper trying to use the skill to inspire his sergeant).

B) Using a loose definition of follower, I would again say absolutely, and that anyone in a squad can use the Command Skill to Inspire or Terrify (or for anything else) regardless of their specialty and who they were trying to influence. A squad is supposed to work together, to trust each other on the battlefield, and I would think that your average player squad will be more than willing to follow the advice of their fellow Guardsmen.

I would personally run closer to the stricter definition of follower, but GMs run their campaigns differently. As you're a player, I would suggest clearing any interpretation you have of the follower definition prior to play to avoid any confusion in game.

I say thee nay. The Commissar's special ability that enhances Terrify, whatever it's called, implies heavily that other PCs do not normally count as followers.

The Command Skill can be used by those that have it to affect Player Characters, NPCs and Comrades. Comrades usually dpn't usually have to roll for tests. Command skill when used to inspire troops on a successfull skill roll lends a +10 to others that have to make a skill role or characteristic test as per Only War p.119

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that PCs do not count as followers.

bogi_khaosa said:

I can't be bothered to look it up, but I'm pretty sure that PCs do not count as followers.

They sure do count as Followers for the effects of the Command Skill roll.