Chaos Symbol Pendant

By Amroth, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

Just a very minor question, I notice the Apostate gets a Chaos symbol pendant at start up but this doesn't seem to have any rules.

There is however I noticed an unholy icon under tools which adds +20 to charm tests against fellow heretics and unleashes a *&%$ storm if uncovered on your person by loyalists.

Are these meant to be the same thing or am I just reaching?

Amroth said:

Just a very minor question, I notice the Apostate gets a Chaos symbol pendant at start up but this doesn't seem to have any rules.

There is however I noticed an unholy icon under tools which adds +20 to charm tests against fellow heretics and unleashes a *&%$ storm if uncovered on your person by loyalists.

Are these meant to be the same thing or am I just reaching?

I have used it as that. As for unholy tomes or dataslate filled with arcane lore I recommend getting your hands on Tome of Excess if you dont have it yet. It has nice wargear, blasphemous tome if I remember correctly, thats good to represent those or any other datamedium containing device or book with little tweak.

Thanks for that mate.

I'm still waiting for my copy of Tome of Excess, can't wait to get my hands on it!

I don't think it's supposed to have any in-game effect. It's just color.

They are NOT the same thing. The pendant is just fluff, like so many other things in the starting equipment lists for archetypes (go through them and you'll notice a lot of stuff that aren't listed).

I'd treat it as the equivalent of a charm from Dark Heresy.

Wonder Lemming said:

I'd treat it as the equivalent of a charm from Dark Heresy.

as

in if something bad has to happen to a random character having one means "your not it"?

As GM, I allow a very small chance a charm actually has some special powers (because it is indeed the little finger of Saint Hermione the thrice blessed or such)….otherwise it offers a minor one-shot 'escape the bad effect' card when applicable but is consumed by using it. This forces players to regularly stock up on a charm but I only allow one charm use per session. It's not a fate point after all.

If all players have a charm, only one gets to use the 'escape the bad effect' effect determined by opposed fellowship rolls, modified by Imperial Creed. This way, fellowship isn't a dump stat and Imperial Creed is yet again useful.

For BC, suitable charms for the dark powers would have a similar effect but perhaps I'd add a more random factor to represent chaos in case all players had such a charm.