Unaligned Dark Apostles get -30 penalty on Rituals?

By HappyDaze, in Black Crusade

If you look at the new table of modifiers for Rituals (found in the Tome of Excess), you'll see that Dark Apostles get a -30 penalty towards all rituals dedicated to any god they are not aligned towards. It doesn't say towards gods in opposition to their alignment - which would be fine - just those they are not aligned with.

This means that they have an Archetype power which exists soley to mitigate this heafty weakness hidden away on a table. So the priests of Chaos Undivided (which many of the Dark Apostles would be) are inferior ritualists to just about every other Heretic. Lame.

I've not got TOE yet but if there's a rule in it that doesn't work quite right for you and goes against the thematics of the setting (which in this case it seems to) house rule it

BrianDavion said:

I've not got TOE yet but if there's a rule in it that doesn't work quite right for you and goes against the thematics of the setting (which in this case it seems to) house rule it

This is about as helpful as telling someone that they don't have to order foods they don't like off of a menu. Stating the obvious to deflect criticism of a product doesn't address why such a silly thing exists in the rules to begin with.

When I read the description of Dark Devotion, I get the impression that even if Dark Apostle is Aligned to Khorne he can still use Infamy to Construct Monument to Tzeentch (Why would any true follower of Khorne summon Tzeentchian daemon, you might ask? To offer the cowardly Sorcerous daemons skull to his Master) and gain that +30 to rolls for Rites & Rituals of Tzeench when they use them there. But if they use Rites & Rituals of other Chaos Gods there, example Nurgle they gain the -30 to rolls.

In the Expanded Ritual Modifiers it gives impression that forementioned Khorne Aligned Dark Apostle would get -30 to all other Rites & Rituals concerning Tzeentch, Nurgle & Slaanesh. But as I mentioned before he might mitigate the -30 to his rolls by building Monument dedigated to Tzeentch, Nurgle or Slaanesh. Until FFG makes official Errata concerning this I will use my own interpretation.

This is why we need a more comprehensive errata document. Do we know who wrote that section? Would it be possible to get in touch with them and ask them what they meant?

HappyDaze said:

If you look at the new table of modifiers for Rituals (found in the Tome of Excess), you'll see that Dark Apostles get a -30 penalty towards all rituals dedicated to any god they are not aligned towards. It doesn't say towards gods in opposition to their alignment - which would be fine - just those they are not aligned with.

This means that they have an Archetype power which exists soley to mitigate this heafty weakness hidden away on a table. So the priests of Chaos Undivided (which many of the Dark Apostles would be) are inferior ritualists to just about every other Heretic. Lame.

Read the book. Dark Apostles most commonly remain unaligned and worship the four gods as a pantheon. There's nothing undecided about what they do.

And those that choose to worship all the Chaos Gods don't get the same boon as one who dedicates themselves fully to a single Chaos God. Again, I don't see the issue. The Chaos Gods all hate one another. If Khorne sees a preacher going on about Tzeentch, Nurgle and especially Slaanesh in equal measure to himself, he's not going to be as generous as he would be to one who is dedicated to Khorne and Khorne alone.

BYE

H.B.M.C. said:

And those that choose to worship all the Chaos Gods don't get the same boon as one who dedicates themselves fully to a single Chaos God. Again, I don't see the issue. The Chaos Gods all hate one another. If Khorne sees a preacher going on about Tzeentch, Nurgle and especially Slaanesh in equal measure to himself, he's not going to be as generous as he would be to one who is dedicated to Khorne and Khorne alone.

BYE

It's not about the boon, it's about the penalty. Consider this:

Unaligned of any archetype (except Dark Apostle) conducting a ritual dedicated to any of the Dark Powers: No modifier

Unaligned Dark Apostle conducting a ritual dedicated to any of the Dark Powers: -30 penalty

That's just crap considering that - in the fluff - the majority of Dark Apostles are Unaligned and they are still some of the best at conducting rituals of all types.

H.B.M.C., did you wirte this particular section of the rules? If so, then your writer's blindness is telling.

I did not write the rules for the Dark Apostle.

BYE