Latent Psyker House Rules

By Rimmer1, in Dark Heresy House Rules

OK, one of the PC's (The Cleric) is now going to develop some latent psyker abilities, brought on by a particularly horrendous episode, after having read the Nascent Psyker rules in Inquisitors Handbook, and not liking them one bit, i am asking for some advice.

1. Does one of the other books have some alternate rules

2. Are there some decent house rules someone else has already cooked up.

Cheers

How about giving him some random minor powers that reflect what happened to him?

Step 1: He now has Psy Rating 1, which he cannot raise above that value.

Step 2: He now has a Minor Power of your choice, and cannot learn any more powers in any way.

Step 3: He now has Psyniscience as Basic Skill - whether he can learn it as a Trained skill is up to you.

There, done.

I dis-agree with Morangias.

Step 1: He now has Psy Rating 1

Step 2: He now has a Minor Power of your choice

Step 3: He now has Psyniscience as Basic Skill

Step 4: If he wants to learn any more he must switch his class to a Psyker, but he looses his current class, he does not loose his skills. He may not switch back.

I dis-agree with Morangias.

Step 1: He now has Psy Rating 1

Step 2: He now has a Minor Power of your choice

Step 3: He now has Psyniscience as Basic Skill

Step 4: If he wants to learn any more he must switch his class to a Psyker, but he looses his current class, he does not loose his skills. He may not switch back.

That`s a bit old school D&D of you.

Why should the character have change job? Remember these are actual in-world occupations not just metagame-defined classes.

How on earth would he have access to the same training and lore as a sanctionite? It isn`t like this kind of info is just lying around for anyone to stumble across.

Why shouldn`t he be able to continue working as a priest? It`s not like anyone would know he`s a psyker unless he slips up.

I`d be more in favour of drawing up a seperate "Wild psyker" advance table to run alongside his existing priest shceme. Increase his chances of pheomena and perils (or give a permanent +30 to all his rolls on these tables) to reflect his lack of training and sanctioning and make major powers really expensive.

I agree with Askil. Could make him more prone to increases in CP or IP too, for the same lore reasons

Maybe use this template, I'm not sure how to you'd grade the ranks though.

Gain Psy Rating 1.

Psyniscience as a basic skill.

Gain one minor power.

D10+4 corruption.

50% extra insanity gain.

Automatically rolls 2d10 on the phenomena table whenever using powers.

Rank 1

Psyniscience - 100

Light Sleeper - 200

Minor power* - 200

*one per WpB.

Rank 2

Psyniscience + 10% -200

Paranoia - 200

Minor power* - 200

*upto two per WpB.

Rank 3

Psy Rating 2 - 300

Psyniscience + 20% -200

Major power* - 400

*one per two points of WpB.

Maybe use this template, I'm not sure how to you'd grade the ranks though.

Gain Psy Rating 1.

Psyniscience as a basic skill.

Gain one minor power.

D10+4 corruption.

50% extra insanity gain.

Automatically rolls 2d10 on the phenomena table whenever using powers.

Rank 1

Psyniscience - 100

Light Sleeper - 200

Minor power* - 200

*one per WpB.

Rank 2

Psyniscience + 10% -200

Paranoia - 200

Minor power* - 200

*upto two per WpB.

Rank 3

Psy Rating 2 - 300

Psyniscience + 20% -200

Major power* - 400

*one per two points of WpB.

I really like the rule change for that. I tend to run lower on corruption and insanity, but otherwise it's really good. I especially like the random negatives table on every single spell cast. That really makes it a tough decision for the player to cast

What's wrong with RAW?

What's wrong with RAW?

In and of itself? Nothing.

The problem is that the rules have never actually represented a late blooming psyker that is struggling to slowly master their emerging skills without the official guidance of the imperial authorities.

The RAW profides imperial psykers their corrupt counterparts and nascents who relly just amount to psychic suicide bombs with random GM triggered powers.

why should something as interesting as a character having a psychic awakening be resticted to a handful of clumsy deus ex machina triggered by the GM?