Mesmerism and mule/horse&cart

By Gonad the Ballbarian, in Talisman Rules Questions

Please settle a dispute. If you cast mesmerism on a mule or horse & cart, do you also get the items carried by that follower?

I say no, my buddies say yes.

If the answer is no, does that player get to choose which items are dropped, assuming he is now over the limit of objects he can carry? or does he have to drop the items that were on the mule/h&c?

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

Please settle a dispute. If you cast mesmerism on a mule or horse & cart, do you also get the items carried by that follower?

If the answer is no, does that player get to choose which items are dropped, assuming he is now over the limit of objects he can carry? or does he have to drop the items that were on the mule/h&c?

No. The player chooses which Objects to drop.

Ell.

Gonad the Ballbarian said:

Depends on how you play. The rules say they're dropped, and that's how we do it.

If you and your friends play Talisman more as a role-playing game and less as a board game (evil characters attack others more often, the thief steals a second water bottle because he feels it's "in character" as opposed to being useful), then feel free to house rule it. There's no reason we don't have item "slots" on mules to begin with. After all, how many crowns, helms, and other pieces of headgear can a person use at once? The same goes for wands, swords, scepters, etc. Still, this would slow the game and it's probably something that was best left from the primary rulebook.