Fate Tokens; "Dice with death" and "Dice with me"

By player634503, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi,

Two questions about the use of Fate Tokens.

1. Can I use Fate Tokens to re-roll the dice on "Dice with death" in the inner region?

2. Can I use Fate Tokens to re-roll the dice for the result in p.3 ("Dice with me") on the Grim Reaper card?

ThanksĀ“

Mickli said:

Hi,

Two questions about the use of Fate Tokens.

1. Can I use Fate Tokens to re-roll the dice on "Dice with death" in the inner region?

2. Can I use Fate Tokens to re-roll the dice for the result in p.3 ("Dice with me") on the Grim Reaper card?

ThanksĀ“

Answer 1: Yes, you may do that, b ut you may only use one fate to re-roll one of the two dice rolls. And only for your own rolls( not for death)

Answer 2: This is the same as answer 1

I may be wrong, but I do believe you could spend 2 fate to re-roll both of your dice if you choose.

P. 7:

"If a player rolls multiple dice (for example the Death space in
the Inner Region), he may only pay one fate to reroll one of
them."

I suppose you could interpret that as 1 fate for first die, 1 fate for 2nd die. I play 1 fate total can be spent. It still makes DwD too easy.

p6 "Rolling a die due to the instructions on a card or board
space".

The Dice with Death space instructs you to roll 2 dice for you and 2 dice for Death. Prior to the Revised 4th I've always played that another player rolls for Death as it felt more in the spirit of competition. The space actually says that you roll both sets of dice, as such it is my belief that you can actually use up to 4 fate to reroll all the dice. This makes Death somewhat easy most of the time.

Geoff

Cidervampire said:

p6 "Rolling a die due to the instructions on a card or board
space".

The Dice with Death space instructs you to roll 2 dice for you and 2 dice for Death. Prior to the Revised 4th I've always played that another player rolls for Death as it felt more in the spirit of competition. The space actually says that you roll both sets of dice, as such it is my belief that you can actually use up to 4 fate to reroll all the dice. This makes Death somewhat easy most of the time.

Mmmh, it's not the person who rolls the dice that matters, it's the Character. We also choose another player to roll for Enemies in battle/psychic combat (and Dice with Death), but rules state that to solve a combat the player has to roll one die for his Character and one for the Enemy. Here's the trick: roll FOR the Character/roll FOR the Enemy (or Death). You may use Fate only to re-roll for your Character.

But the chance to re-roll a single die in Dice with Death it's still a big advantage and we rarely see Characters stopped by this challenge more than once.

The rules actually say that another player makes the attack roll for an Enemy and that you can't use fate points on that roll. The rules do say that the player rolls for both them and death. Although I don't like this, this is what the rules seem to indicate.

Geoff

Cidervampire said:

The rules actually say that another player makes the attack roll for an Enemy and that you can't use fate points on that roll. The rules do say that the player rolls for both them and death. Although I don't like this, this is what the rules seem to indicate.

Geoff

Yeah, but if you could say that a character rolls for death, then he is not rolling for himself, so you can't use fate for it.

You must see death as a enemie. And you can't use fate for enemie rolls

I think we must not look for a problem, if there is no problem gui%C3%B1o.gif

Cidervampire said:

Geoff

Right, Combat Rules say "another player", but there's no problem with this. My reasonment is still valid: it's not who rolls the die, but for whom he does it.

Now I understand what you mean: Dice with Death is not a combat but a "board space instruction". It falls under category 3 (see pg. 6) and it's neither "a creature's attack roll" nor "another player's die roll". It might be possible to re-roll Death's dice then.

Dice with Death is very easy now if you have Fate; if you can re-roll also Death's dice it is completely unchallenging.

I think this needs a FAQ, though I will always have someone else roll for Death, so I can't re-roll his dice.

I support my original assertion (even if it's heavy on the rules lawyering) that one could spent two fate to re-roll both of one's Death Dice.

However, I heartily disagree with the notion that one could spend fate to re-roll Death's Death Dice, no matter who does the rolling of said dice. The rules may be fuzzy in terms of definitions there, but for this I fall to the spirit of the rules, which would definitely prohibit fate-i-fying a roll generated by an NPC.

You cannot spend a fate point to reroll a die for "Death". Fate can only be used to reroll a die for your own character.

Ell.

talismanamsilat said:

You cannot spend a fate point to reroll a die for "Death". Fate can only be used to reroll a die for your own character.

Ell.

That's very important and isn't clear from rulebook at all.

How about rerolling a die for creature's regeneration or for an Earthquake? May I?

Rimmer said:

talismanamsilat said:

Ell.

How about rerolling a die for creature's regeneration or for an Earthquake? May I?

Fate vs Regens has been already asked and answered as no. Similarly I'd say Earthquake is a no-no, at least if you go by talismanamsilat's answer.

Dam said:

Rimmer said:

talismanamsilat said:

Ell.

Fate vs Regens has been already asked and answered as no. Similarly I'd say Earthquake is a no-no, at least if you go by talismanamsilat's answer.

It's kind of blurry then. What about rerolling... Imp?

So I can reroll only dices which directly affect my character and which are not related to abilities and attacks of my opponents.

And how about Whirlwind?

Rimmer said:

It's kind of blurry then. What about rerolling... Imp?

So I can reroll only dices which directly affect my character and which are not related to abilities and attacks of my opponents.

Gut reaction says Imp is Fate-adjustable. It directly affects you.

I am sorry that my questions provoke gut reactions :)

Gut reactions are the best gui%C3%B1o.gif !