UMC_Tournament

By UMC_Tournament, in CoC Organized Play

It is with great excitement and pride that we are announcing the upcoming UMC_Tournament (Undisputed Master / Mistress of Cthulhu).

The date is still pending but we hope to have things finalised by the end of 2013 / early 2014. We advertise this in a hope to allow all players from all countries to attend, in what will be THE annual tournament of the Cthulhu card game season.

Thankfully the lure of Cthulhu attracts its fair share of insane people, and luckily one rather wealthy AND mentally unstable benefactor who wishes to test their mettle against the world's best. Collaborating with our team, we have devised the UMC_Tournament.

Although still in the initial planning stages, prizes are loosely based on the following.

FIRST PRIZE : Title of Undisputed Master / Mistress of Cthulhu and $5000 cash.

SECOND PRIZE : $2000 cash.

TOP 8 Finalists : $500 cash.

For a total of $10000 prize money !!!!!

We look forward to giving you more information as it arises, but plenty of time will be given between announcing the confirmed date and the Tournament itself. The venue will be situated in Sydney, Australia, which is fast becoming the central location for the Cthulhu card game worldwide.

Hope you are as excited as we are !!!

The UMC Team.

********** NEWSFLASH **********

If this is real and comes together it's a major turning point for CoC. I hope this gets advertised in other forums and enough steam to get going.

So do we Carioz !!

Actually one of the things being discussed for the premiere event is whether to advertise to a wide variety of card gamers, or keep it relatively low key and 'dedicated' to those already playing the game. Many plans my friends !!

Carioz said:

If this is real and comes together it's a major turning point for CoC.

I am puzzled: how does a tourney which might or might not happen, that you are not forced to partake into, poisons the way you play the game?

And how are the organizers planning to raise the prize money? That might be a bit tricky…

Carioz said:

I am puzzled: how does a tourney which might or might not happen, that you are not forced to partake into, poisons the way you play the game?

jhaelen said:

Carioz said:

It sets a bad precedent. It might (and probably will) change expectations of players that take part in tournaments anywhere. There have already been minor scuffles about prices in the past.

Now that is interesting: can you give me some more informations on where that happened? If you'd rather not discuss it on the forums, can you send me a pm?

Carioz said:

Now that is interesting: can you give me some more informations on where that happened? If you'd rather not discuss it on the forums, can you send me a pm?

Now what do you think will happen if there's price money of around 5k $ involved?

I'd also like to note I'm hardly alone in my rejection of playing for money. You may want to check out the thread over at CardGameDB where someone suggested the same thing for the Star Wars LCG:

http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3748-interest-in-competitive-cash-tournaments/

Of course it's possible that it won't negatively affect the rest of the world if there's cash involved in _some_ tournaments. But my experience tells me otherwise. People get strange when (a certain amount of) money's at stake and I am no exception.

I tend to agree with Jhaelen. I regularly follow the MtG community forums, and the only times where I have seen problems coming from a tournament was when money prizes where involved. (and I'm talking about Magic, a game that has a far superior rule system, judge system and penalty system).

As far as I am concerned, a tournament with big prize support is more than welcomed and even if living in Europe I might consider attending (I mean, I've already been to Australia twice, but no problem going there for a third time :D ).

About the prizes: it might be easier to distribute prizes in a non-money form. It is plenty of stuff which is cthulhu-themed (other cthulhu-based games, books) and it is quite easy to get personalized prizes, if one wants to give something very particular for the tournament (prints from cards art, custom made domain, custom playmates, etc…).

Moreover: for big events, it's better to spread the prizes among the top-8/top-16, so that everyone can get something, instead of concentrating everything in the top-2 (again, experience from big magic tournament, both organized by Hasbro/WotC and private organizations)

About how they plan to raise the money: well, I guess you guys have a plan :)

my 2 cents

Konx

PS: in general, I would really look at how things are handled in Magic for big tournament. No shame in looking at what more experienced people/organization have done in the past, both to learn from them and improve their mistakes.

If the benevolant benefactor (who I am becoming a fan of) is currently in Sydney, please advise him or her that we play Cthulhu each Wednesday at Good Games Burwood (see other post) and that the Hurstville Regionals are on this Saturday at 10am. Also, if you need any help/advise on finding a venue in SYdney for this event (should it go ahead) I am happy to help organise that

This sounds amazing!

When there's that sort of money on the line it would flick the switch for some in to über-competitive mode, which would take some of the fun out of it, but it would be great to challenge others at this level. There's a time and a place for light-hearted games (with friends at your local league), and for competitive play - and I'm delighted that Sydney could be that place for the latter!

P.S. if you are looking for tips with organising, definitely take Honest up on his offer. He organised the 2012 World Championships for Star Trek CCG in Sydney and did a fantastic job.

This does sound amazing…almost too good to be true, especially for CoC, sad to say. A little more transparency regarding the sponsor and funder would probably do a lot to increase this competition's credibility. It actually sounds a little like one of those 'African Prince' emails…

If this is legit, it's awesome that this game has this sort of backing in Australia! Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your support and the raising of concerns good people. These are being discussed and deliberated upon as we speak. As stated the competition is only in its infancy and all feedback is welcomed. Rest assured one thing that will not be an issue is country of residence !! The proposed 'benefactor' wishes to remain anonymous as they will be taking part in the competition themselves, and the man with the money makes the rules !! Oops. Did I say man…..

I'm certain aka Honest will be contacted for his involvement if it proceeds but we wish to finalise the competitions stability before making any more grandious proclamations. One step at a time.

Remaining excited and hopeful. The UMC Team.

Has there been any updates on this event? And if anyone associated with the event is currently in Australia, if you haven't heard the National Championships are on August 24th at DraGGon games convention. Details on another thread

If the event has developed to a point of time and place (no matter what the prizes are at this point) the AU Nats would be a good place to announce it, as a bunch of players will be present

Cheers

Honest

Well, if this kind of tournament is what CoC LCG players expect, do not come to European Championship. Our prize money is just plain ridiculous compared to the ones mentioned here above.

But...

- we are one of the friendiest cardgame tournament in the world

- so far we have been the biggest CoC LCG tournament in the world in terms of number of players for 2 years (and I like to think in terms of gameplay diversity and quality) - 2011: 26 players / 2012: 24 players

- wr have also been the tournament which host the biggest number of different nationalities (Japan-Canada-Italy-Luxemburg-France-Germany-Belgium-Netherlands-...)

- we are probably one of the only FREE tournament, while offering nice prizes (goodies, playmats, champion's card design,...)

- and still we do not want to attract sharky players, we just still enjoy a mix of different kinds of players, from casual to deckbuilding-guru...

But maybe I just got it wrong.

So I hope you good luck for your organisation.