Servo Skulls

By SpectorKnight, in Only War House Rules

So basically one of my players is going to be a medic, and he has asked for permission to have a Servo-skull included as part of his equipment. As a big fan of the universe and books, I know that Servo-skulls are commonly found in use by the Imperial Guard. They are included in the model kits, and acess to them seems, if not common, then at least not exceedingly rare either. But I couldn't find any rules in the book itself for using or interacting with the little flying servitors. So this is what I came up with. I am going to allow him the skull under the justification it is a specially modified medicae diagnosticator, to be treated essentially as a Auspex with the Flying trait. Anyone have any thoughts on this, or other suggestions for how Servo Skulls could be implemnted into the game?

There are versions in several books from the parallel settings/systems. Rogue Trader and Deathwatch both have them in the core books. The lesser minion talent from Deathwatch/Black Crusade would be one way to assign them. Alternately you can just hand one over or assign it a cost.

In Dark Heresy: The Inquisitors Handbook they are listed as Rare. You could also talk to your GM about maybe taking them one as a comrade.

I'd make him earn it in-game somehow. Instead of just "as a Comrade", how about "constructed from a deceased Comrade".

Even in death, I continue to serve.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think "Hell, ya a Medicae Servo Skull would be cool". But don't just GIVE him one.

Maxim C. Gatling said:

I'd make him earn it in-game somehow. Instead of just "as a Comrade", how about "constructed from a deceased Comrade".

Maxim C. Gatling said:

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I think "Hell, ya a Medicae Servo Skull would be cool". But don't just GIVE him one.

:D

Congratulations, Soldier! You've just been promoted.

I'm all for Servo-Skulls and my Medicae requested one also. I'm going to use the stats from DH or RT. He will, of course, have to earn it or make an absolutely amazing Logistics roll. Even then, it's only one bullet away from needing replacement.

The Emperor giveth and the Emperor taketh away.

For my own thoughts, what will the servo-skull be acquired to do? The Medic will already have the Medicae, and hopefully the tools to perform actions of that nature. Will it help the player with their own checks, or help a second character while the player is helping the first? What's the image I am supposed to have in my head?

As suggested, make it his 'comrade' rather than use it as an item - there's the Orderly (I think) talent which lets you use your medicae skill on someone at a distance via your comrade; the diagnoster servo-skull is tailor-made for such a rule.