Greater minion of chaos and traits

By Kamikazzijoe, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

I'm confused wiht the greater minion of chaos and size (1-10). If i don't take any points in size at all does that mean

A) I start at 4 and have to spend 1 trait per deviaion up or down

B) I'm 0 and just a figment of some psykers imagination

C)I spend 1 point on size and pick the number i want

Am I missing something with flight traits? You have to spend 1-6 traits getting flight (x) and x is your functional agility bonus for speed making it insanely slow. You'd have to spend half your trait selection just so it could keep up with you walking. Is there some sort of multiplier while flying?

Lastly is there some way to convert starting weapons and armor to natural weapons and amor?

(Page 137 BC core rule book)

The only way it makes sense is that 4 is the default and you pay one trait to get the X, the X being any of the values shown. Worded badly and confusing, it may be best to just ask FFG directly, they are very good with answering questions (though it isn't perfect)

Thanks, question submitted to them.

Be sure to post their response here, I am pretty curious what the official ruling is.

Honestly i find the minion creation a little stupid, i mean, why would someone want to put machine 1 to a minion when you can have machine 4???

and only waste 1 of your trait selection in the process?

Isnt the GM ment to be using the Minion rules?

From what I got, you ask the GM for say a murder servitor

he looks up the minion rules and makes one appropriate for the player, for some reason be it game balance or fluff reasons he decides to give it machine 2.

That being said it is a lot of work for the GM so most of the time the player will make the minion and the GM will just approve it or modify the character sheet to suit

Nefasine said:

Isnt the GM ment to be using the Minion rules?

From what I got, you ask the GM for say a murder servitor

he looks up the minion rules and makes one appropriate for the player, for some reason be it game balance or fluff reasons he decides to give it machine 2.

That being said it is a lot of work for the GM so most of the time the player will make the minion and the GM will just approve it or modify the character sheet to suit

In fact the core rulebook state, when the character buy the minion talent he can create one using the rules that you can see there. But i think that the option you are saying is the best one to deal with it.

jack_px said:

Honestly i find the minion creation a little stupid, i mean, why would someone want to put machine 1 to a minion when you can have machine 4???

Thats a non-sequitor as adding machine is clearly meant as a bonus. Not picking machine and having machine 0 makes sense for a minion. Size is something everything comes with. You can't have a size 0 minion; it has to be something.

Unless something comes out to the contrary just assume that the minion starts at size 4 and only changes if you use one trait selection for a size from 1-3 or 5-10.

It's the same with multipe arms (x) where it states the number is parenthesis is the number of arms the minion possesses. Common sense would dictate just because you didn't get this trait doesn't mean that your minion doesn't have any arms. Although funnily enough you could get multiple arms (1) meaning that in fact your minion does not only not have multiple arms but in is stuck with only has one.

For such an awesome and imaginative book I think FFG probably could have been a bit tighter with their proof reading and editing.

BC Corebook p.137

Upper left corners texts last sentence: "In addition, if the Minion does not take the Size trait, it is assumed to be Size (4), the size of average human.

I have used my own tweak on Minion building that if someone wants to get for example Unnatural Strength (2) they have to use two (2) traits to get it. So no One trait to get Unnatural Strength (4). Unless FFG Errata those rules im going to keep using my own.

Routa-maa said:

BC Corebook p.137

Upper left corners texts last sentence: "In addition, if the Minion does not take the Size trait, it is assumed to be Size (4), the size of average human.

I have used my own tweak on Minion building that if someone wants to get for example Unnatural Strength (2) they have to use two (2) traits to get it. So no One trait to get Unnatural Strength (4). Unless FFG Errata those rules im going to keep using my own.

Can't believe I read over that as many times as I've been looking at this. Thank you.

Kamikazzijoe said:

Routa-maa said:

BC Corebook p.137

Can't believe I read over that as many times as I've been looking at this. Thank you.

Well you can't blame FFG at least trying to get players to read every sentence in their books as they hide those little tidbits here and there.

Cymbel said:

The only way it makes sense is that 4 is the default and you pay one trait to get the X, the X being any of the values shown. Worded badly and confusing, it may be best to just ask FFG directly, they are very good with answering questions (though it isn't perfect)

I was unaware you could send them a direct rule;s question, can you explain how?

Routa-maa said:

Kamikazzijoe said:

Routa-maa said:

BC Corebook p.137

Well you can't blame FFG at least trying to get players to read every sentence in their books as they hide those little tidbits here and there.

Yeah, a hidden danger of buying the pdf rather than a book.

Size is a funny trait, because being bigger just makes you kinda suck. At least, you get hit easier and all you get in return is speed. Minions should be, ideally, little girls at the most, and servo skulls with lascannons strapped to them at the best. Its also not totally clear how making your minion a CSM works.

So the correct answer is to make your minions cyber-daemons-soulbond-psykers with four arms and stuff, I guess.

Or a liger quad wielding lightning claws, who grew up on the harsh streets of the Imperium, and had to fall in with the bad crowd of chaos to survive.

I did notice with size that the affects seem pretty limited, I would have thought you would get strength and toughness bonuses as well as the speed and hit modifiers.

It appears you can have a minion as big as a titan who can pretty much get beaten up by an average joe on the street. In fact it would be easier for him to beat your minion up because he pretty much can't miss him. I guess that's where speed bonus comes in handy so your titan can run away really fast from the little Imperial Guardsman kicking his backside!