Newbee needing help getting started.

By Steel Town Tough, in Wings of War (WWI)

Hello,I am intererested in getting into WOW WWI.I am glad I found this site.I was under the impression that the games had mini's inside them.I guess they only have cards with planes on them correct?I need advice as to how to start and what to buy for a good initial set up.Thanks in advance--STT

Burning Drachens offers more goodies, but concur with buying the "Famous Aces" set first. I would then suggest buying two miniatures - maybe a Sopwith Snipe and the Fokker DVII. This gives you two planes that you could substitute for others in the Famous Aces set and it gives you two new maneouvre decks as well. After that, just keep going.

Alternatively, see if you can get the Famous Aces Deluxe set as it comes with five miniatures. Not sure if its available in the U.S.

Many, if not most players find that 2v2 battles (or larger) are better than a one-on-one. I strongly recommend playing 2v2 battles very shortly after getting the basic rules down firm.

Oddly, I find that the "junkier" old 1915/1916 planes are just as entertaining to play, if not more so, than the lastest and greatest fighters of World War One.

Enjoy

SHVAK said:

...Many, if not most players find that 2v2 battles (or larger) are better than a one-on-one. I strongly recommend playing 2v2 battles very shortly after getting the basic rules down firm.

Will say that with a two person game, more than four planes per person is a bit chaotic and unless it's just the two players in the room - wouldn't recommend it. But four on four with two players - that is a blast and it can get pretty crazy at times remember which plane you are planning moves for.

It's a fun game!

R

Once you get started, play the game out where people can see you. Try to have some extra planes available and let folks join.

Keep the optional rules in the box until you have a Cadre of players who are ready for them. focus on the true object of the game: FUN!

One way to have fun is to have one player with a two seater versus 1 or 2 players with 2 planes. (One two seater versus two single seaters.) If two players have one plane each, they many not talk to each other. No radios in WWI planes.

I find it better to have players with one plane apiece.