What is top tier for Stark and Greyjoy?

By Viper114, in A Game of Thrones LCG

Been trying to find something for each that can be considered competitive in some way, something that could win a tournament if done right, but I'm having no luck just yet. For those veteran players who play them, what kind of decks for both houses are considered top tier that I can try to make and play? I've tried things like Stark armies, Stark Tully, Greyjoy Black Sails and Greyjoy Raiders, but no luck.

For the record, I know Greyjoy Choke is quite up there, but sadly it involves a couple of cards I just don't have yet, so I'm hoping for something else in the meantime.

I've had a lot of success with stark siege. for this deck, your key cards are:

whispering wood: the point is to rush to 15 powers. epic battles are mandatory.

battle for shield islands: same. plus, we do have a fleet so that's good.

northern cavalry flank: you're going to play a lot of epic battles, as well as storm of swords and mummers ford. these guys don't kneel, they are absolute beast.

king's robb host: same as ncf. sometimes you get unlucky and you can't pay for robb's host. personally I run city walls rather than at the gates, so that's never THAT much of a problem

king robb: for armies.

jeyne: to get robb

fleet from wolfs den: amazingly cost efficient. war crest is cool if you choose to have die by the sword. renown is amazing in a rush build (which siege is). they work well with shield islands

syrio: this guy can bounce in and out for each epic battle. seriously it's ridiculous. let's say you play 3 epic phases in the same round, syrio can participate in all of them because they are 3 individual phases.

distinct mastery: this is a rush build. sometimes it's crucial to stand cavalry flank, or king's robb host if they were knelt by something before they could wreck some challenges. you can also stand robb and play a second army.

and of course, the siege of winterfell

other cards I like:

die by the sword

bastards boys

bastards elite

to be a wolf (whenever it's safe to play mummer's ford as your first plot, otherwise fury of the wolf, which is my chosen restricted)

paper shield

hungry mob

jorah and carrion for stealth.

I'm not a fan of lucas blackwood/umber beserk. sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. I'm not a fan of the newest karstark army either. not having the agenda ruins this deck completely.

Hmmm, I tried Siege before, had some reasonable success with it, but I don't have stuff like Whispering Wood, KRH and TBaW because we don't have those Chapter packs at our store. Well, they will again with the CoA cycle re-releasing soon. But I can try that out, see how it goes.

Any word on top tier Greyjoy besides Winter Choke? I like Choke, but it's just a lack of the key cards that's keeping me from playing it for now. Wouldn't mind knowing if Greyjoy's good in other aspects.

I wouldn't call Greyjoy Choke top tier anymore. It's still very good, but doesn't match up well against Targ Burn, which is just as good, and played a lot more.

Honestly, since we got the new agendas dropped on us pretty quick, alongside a brand new restricted list, I don't think there is much room to objectively figure out tiers because there is so much untapped potential.

In the current state of the game, if you can build a deck that can hang with KOHH decks and also Rush decks, I'd say you've got a pretty good build.

Well, I meant in terms of just Greyjoy, Choke is probably their top tier deck by far from what I have witnessed. But yes, Targ Burn is pretty stupid, too, and Martell is close, as well. But I want to focus on Stark and Greyjoy as my main houses and get the best I can make with them. I'd go with Choke but I'm missing the WoW and CoS chapter packs at the moment, so I want to see if something exists for Greyjoy that's at least ALMOST as good as Choke tier wise.

I've played agaisnt vicious greyjoy mill decks. they were running house of dream deepwood motte. I don't play greyjoys so I can't offer that much advice. what I know is that this card always ends up ******* my stuff up:

Euron's mongrel: http://www.cardgamedb.com/forums/uploads/1287540757/med_gallery_67_40201.jpg

in fact just writing about it made me want to try a greyjoy mill deck. I'll mess around on octgn until I get a good one and comment back here.

but really, if we are talking about ''tiers'' then starks > greyjoys.

my new favourite combo: old nan+dissenssion or old nan + red wedding.

sooo I tried some mill decks and had my ass handed to me four times in five games. turns out I'm not the one to give advice on greyjoys.

Viper,

What are the top decks being used in your playgroup?

I'm the local Greyjoy fanatic in Edinburgh and for Joust I've been using (and winning with!) a House of Dreams/Longship Grief deck using Raiders with the Euron that gives other Raiders stealth. I've found that works well, but maybe just in our very limited Meta.

Melee is slightly more forgiving so you can have a bit more fun with mill decks in this format :-) I really wanted to make the River Plots work, but to be even in with a chance you can really only use the mill plot and the one that sends a card to the top of your deck. I use this with "Mill Euron", The Reader, all the other Raiders with Mill effects and Corpse Lake.

I've been toying around with adding Winter to the mix for Frostang Peaks and Winter Armada. In addition, you want to try to win Dominance so I include 3 Cogs. Helps with Initiative too.

As much as I love Mill, it's not yet viable for Joust.

As much as I love Greyjoy, they currently get pipped by Stark (assuming from your post that these are your choices)