Trades and crafting

By Dach2, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

Im interested in Explorator, Armourer, Technomat, Voidfarer - theres not much on this skills in the books I have access to.

I found some snippets on this forum - about Armourer - the crafting rules in Inquisitor handbook are helpful - but on their own are useless - how do i accquire materials and/or schematics for gear ? Do I need schematics ? Can i just throw together two boltguns and get stormbolter ? Can I make an underbarrel granade/missile launcher for boltgun having apropriate launcher ?

What Explorator trade is used for ? To direct Navigator to interesting points in space ?

Technomat is for repairs, ok - but so is Tech-use which do i use where ? Book overloads Tech-use skill with areas of application…

Voidfarer for installing ship upgrades I guess - but so is tech-use…

Direct me to apropriate books for trade skills description please. And guide to get raw materials would be good - or I need to houserule that ?

Dach said:

Im interested in Explorator, Armourer, Technomat, Voidfarer - theres not much on this skills in the books I have access to.

I found some snippets on this forum - about Armourer - the crafting rules in Inquisitor handbook are helpful - but on their own are useless - how do i accquire materials and/or schematics for gear ? Do I need schematics ? Can i just throw together two boltguns and get stormbolter ? Can I make an underbarrel granade/missile launcher for boltgun having apropriate launcher ?

What Explorator trade is used for ? To direct Navigator to interesting points in space ?

Technomat is for repairs, ok - but so is Tech-use which do i use where ? Book overloads Tech-use skill with areas of application…

Voidfarer for installing ship upgrades I guess - but so is tech-use…

Direct me to apropriate books for trade skills description please. And guide to get raw materials would be good - or I need to houserule that ?

Actuall tech use is like minor quick repairs and operating machinery while I'd say trades like Voidfarer would be for setting out designs for installing an entire component or actually designing a ship (be that a fighter or a warp capable vessel though the later is pretty much never going to see use seeing how long those take to make) or a trade like technomat would be designing tech crom scratch, amorer for designing a gun from scratch, etc. Tech use is just more "make quick repairs" in my games to make the trades actually useful.

My general rule of thumb is gathering materials can be done by happening upon them or by making an aquisition test at one or two steps lower than acquiring what you're gathering the mats for (depending on how rare the item, and this it's mats are, narritively). In the end it's up to the gm, it would be nice though that if in a future expansion they made a far more detailed rule set for this.

This is what i have found from running my own games

All trade skill are extended long term actions.

Armourer: Has to do with modifying or creating weapons and or armour. the need for schimatics and parts are up to your GM but most will make this a mini mission of its own.

Technomat: Is repairing and fixing items by simple means of pulling them appart and putting them back together. Not true understanding of how they work.

Voidfarer: This has to do not with building or planing a starship but with running one. this skill should be used for things like organising ship board drills or activities. The effects of which are up to the GM. I had my voidmaster constantly drill crew members and after a number of successes the DM increased the NPC's stats to reflect this.

Explorator: This one is for litteral exploring... You know there is a ruin city somewhere near by but have no idea where. This skill is what will help you set out a search pattern to find it.