Scenario 3.. Long game after action report

By Boojum, in Arkham Horror League

Well. We took longer completing this one than we did on the first two scenarios combined.

First.. Opening Strategies.

Had to choose between sealing and closing gates. In order to make up for the lack of initial clues, we would have to bank at least 9 of the 18 available clue tokens. (there were 20 clues saved from last time) That would mean at least 3 corruptions each and cult membership. With gate bursts back in the Mythos Deck, we could not not be certain sealed gates would remain sealed, and 3 corruption cards per 4 players would definately lead to more corruption later. No no no no no. No Banking at all this game.

OK then, strategy 2.. Try to close all gates, seal when possible, but otherwise kill lots and lots of monsters and gear up for final battle. The physical immunity is not going to be fun with both curiosity shop and magic shop closed. Oh well.. Attack!

We were using the private investigator last 2 games, but we can't use him now So we went for Wilson Richards instead. Also we needed some major magical support this time, so we got Dexter Drake and had him babysit Calvin. Returning from last 2 games are Michael McGlen for weapons support, and Jenny Barnes for Financial assistance.

Opening setup did not go too well. For the third game in a row I was stuck playing Michael McGlenn.. Expert Occultist. I really need to draw a better skill for this guy, With a Maximum 3 lore, if McGlen tries to read a spellbook, odds are he will be holding it upside down. Also we received 2 unique Quest cards. I think this one will be hard enough without trying for the quests. We never attempted them.

Long long long game. Everyone jumped through at least 2 gates. We had Major problems with the movement rules when the Dark Druid entered the game. I am not sure if we were reading these rules right, but here is how we read them..

1. Cultists move along black path every turn.

2. Dark Druid is treated as a Cultist (so moves along black path every turn)

3. When Dark Druid moves along a black path. All other monsters move on black path after normal movment. (Including non black borders)

So. for about 6 turns. We had Every monster moving Every turn.. Would Someone Kill that Freakin Druid Please!!!!

Player of the match award goes to Jenny Barnes, who played outside her normal character. She bought a Tommy gun at the general store, worked as a Steveadore at the docks, and had +1 fight skill. In addition, she was blessed early on, and kept the blessing until the final turn.

Michael Killed the most monsters, Wilson closed the most gates, Dexter Drake was hard to beat with Calvin keeping the sanity drain to a minimum

Almost closed all gates twice. Michael McGlen had picked up a book that would have closed 1 gate. He tried to use it twice.. but as I said earlier.. He keeps holding the book upside down. He did get some clue tokens early on, but he used them to put a seal on the Witch's house. (only seal of the game)

Finally completed the Doom Trak and the great monster came forth. By this time, both Michael McGlenn and Wilson Richards managed to get their hands on Magic Weapons. Drake still had his shrivilling spell, and Jenny had an "Enchant Weapon" Spell, her Tommy Gun and a Dynamite she managed to borrow from Michael. It was a good battle. Jenny could only fight for 3 turns until she ran too low on sanity for her to cast magic. The first round she cast enchant weapon on the Dynamite declaired it to be "The Holy Hand Grenade of Antioc" and threw it at the great old one. We won the battle with 1 monster token remaining for Jenny and Wilson. All 4 survived.

Game took almost 5 hours.. Fun fun fun.. My only worry is that I did not have 1 clue token at the end of this one.

Heyyyyy.. what happened to the 20 I did not bank at the beginning of the game? Did I loose those, or do I still have them?

Ah well.. I'll find out in 2 weeks I guess.

I don't see why people are so scared of the Corruption cards? You can get ride of the by closing/ sealing Gates!

A little corruption is not bad. It tingles actually.

Having 12 corruption cards at the games start seemed too much harm for 9 clue tokens. I could guarentee that we would draw at least 4 more before we closed the first gate. Then we'd be drawing from the red pile for the rest of the game. We ended up fighting the GOO anyways, but we had more time to prepaire.

We lost 3 strait games and the AO never woke due to its doom track filling!

Our first attempt at SC3 was a comedy of errors, though we got an average score that we might end up keeping.

We played with Rita and Michael for maximum monster slaying ability since they are extra tough, however we spent a lot of time closing gates. We're almost won said my companion after closing 5. Um, no... that condition for winning isn't valid anymore. Oh dear, we sorta forgot. So we have lots of gate rophies, lots of gates open and hardly any monster trophies for the final fight, and the doom track was high. Cue mad dash to the church to be blessed for the final fight, which saved our bacon, as we had no magical weapons or spells either, just a bunch of clue tokens and some holy water. Just managed it!

Next time we will be better prepared - and probably play different characters!

We managed to win but bearly.

The crew consited of Jenny, Ashcan, Marie and Mark. We didn't bank any clues, and actully we didn't seal any gates. in a suprsing turn of events Marie turned out to be the teams moster slayer (wither + Magical knife + the unique item giving + to spell check and conctatly drawing psychical immunity moster will do that), while Mark was the gate closer.

Ashcan draw Scrifices to Make as one of his staring items, and spend a few turns trying to acomplished it, before we realized that he could (since the Curiosity Shop was closed). He was a bit pissed about it, and comp;ained that the Scenario should have it removed of the Unique Item pile during setup. We had some bad luck in dice and OW encouters, and inj the End Subby woke up and we had to fight her.

We managed to defeat her a turn before the first fatalities would have taken place, mainly due to fanrtic item and spell swaping.

Overall we managed to get 21 points (lost 1 or two in monster trophies thanks to Shubby), which i think isn't ( and isn't great either).

Well probably have another go this weekend.

You guys should bank three tokens just to give all investigators one corruption card (in the hope of drawing the two sanity loss for two clue tokens card).

yes we are playing today and we're going to see just how many corruption cards a team can handle since we have 14 clues banked from last time

tamsyn said:

yes we are playing today and we're going to see just how many corruption cards a team can handle since we have 14 clues banked from last time

I would say don't go for more than nine tokens... Hrm... Well... You could go for 12, but I think it'd be a bit risky.

haha went for 12! at one point someone had 10 corruption cards!

tamsyn said:

haha went for 12! at one point someone had 10 corruption cards!

Did you win?

yes :) we seriously thought he was going to be eaten, so much so that when the curse one bless one card came up he gave it to my char, but then he survived!