Question about moving a boat

By Trolin, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

Hi all!

I'm new to this game, and when playing our first game, we had an argument with some friends...

We read many times the rules not finding the answer :

let's say there are 3 adjacent seas 1, 2 and 3 (1 adjacent to 2, and 2 adjacent to 3)

I have 2 boats in sea 1, and one boat in sea 2. My oponent has one boat in sea 3.

can I move my boats in sea 1 to sea 3, throught sea 2 which is under my control?

thanks for help!

The way to do that is to have a March order on each--activate the order on sea 1 first (moving both boats into sea 2), then the March on sea 2 to get them into 3 (or to attack 3). The thing to keep in mind with this is that you have to obey Supply limits at all times, even with ships.

Remember, March orders let you take whatever units are in an area and move them to any other areas adjacent (as long as you start at most 1 battle), regardless of whether the units were there when the turn began. That's why some of the leader tokens from Storm of Swords are so valuable--you can move units on a Raid or a Consolidate Power as well, meaning you can have units racing all over the board.

Thanks for your answer, but what I meaned is that you can march land units through boats, so why can't boat navigate through a sea I control?

After all, if we can move land unit between 2 coastal lands, it is to reflect that boats are the fastest way to move around (IMHO), so was the idea that boat should be allowed to navigate through a sea I control.

It is about this point the argument was As we found nothing about that in the basic rules gran_risa.gif

Ah. Well, I would suspect the reason you can't use sea transport on boats is a game balance issue. Controlling the coasts allows you to transport troops quickly simply to represent that your sea power can allow you to send your troops to multiple places quickly and unimpeded. However, you're expanding your land power more quickly as a reward for having good sea power. On the other hand, what you're proposing lets you expand your sea power more quickly as a reward for having more sea power--it has the potential to lead to a logarhythmic increase in power, which would be unbalancing.

Besides, the answer to Trolin's question is literally written down in the rules. It is in the very first paragraph of the section "Ship transport"...

Rules clearly indicate that this move is for Land Units.