Tome of Excess Planets

By signoftheserpent, in Black Crusade

Do we know what worlds will be featured in Tome of Excess? What factions or planets?

Slaaneshi ones?

I was hoping for a rundown of what parts of the Screaming Vortex are actually in the book.

At this point, we have no idea what's in it beyond the standard four Archetypes, plus rules ofr Social Combat and I think they mentioned cults or masses of followers?

What are the archetypes?

signoftheserpent said:

What are the archetypes?

it's been two Human and two Marine archetypes per book so far. Emperor's Children have to be in for the Slaanesh book, on of the remaining Legions not covered, the Word Bearers fit the social focus the book seems to care. Who knows wha the human archetypes will be, though.

Yeah I tend to agree with the word ebarers being the second marine one. especially as the Iron warriors make more sense with nurgle. seiges being a slow methodical dismantling of something.

then the 5th book will proably focus on large scale warfare etc and have a black legion warleader. possiably with a red cosair as one too

Word Bearers and Iron Marines have traditionally been Unaligned.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Chaos_Marines#.Uao8-EC1EUs

Slaanesh has only ever truly had one Legion with offshoots from there.(i.e. Angels of Ecstacy, Flawless Host, etc)

This is true although the Alpha Legion and Night Lords are also unaligned.

FFG tends to use one aligned chapter and one chapter that can thematically fit the concept. For instance the Alpha Legion were used in Tome of Fate because of their penchant for conspiracy, stealth and convoluted plots and Night Lords were used in Tome of Blood for their love of slaughter and causing terror in the ranks of their enemies. My money would be on the Word Bearers as the unaligned chapter for the book.

I know the books out already and although I have it on order haven't seen it yet, would anyone be able to confirm Word Bearers are the second chapter and also give a brief description of the two human archetypes?

A 'Dark Apostle' is the second Legion archetype in the book, though the book merely states that Dark Apostles are most commonly from the Word Bearers legion. This runs contrary to my understanding that they were an exclusively Word Bearers thing, but no biggie either way. I might have remembered wrong. An Accursed Crozius is a nasty, nasty weapon.

The two human archetypes are 'Pirate Prince of the Ragged Helix' and 'Flesh Shaper of Malignia.' The Pirate Prince starts with a voidship (!), but that's all left to GM fiat. I'm actually kind of confused as to why the Pirate Prince is Slaanesh-aligned, but whatevs. The Flesh Shaper is kind of a weird body-horror archetype, who starts with a debased sidekick whose form you can twist to your whim.

Sweet, sounds awesome!

Your memory does serve you correctly, the Dark Apostles were originally Word Bearer only but a lot of history gets re-written in these books, which I don't mind so much. It's all in the name of creativity and we can take and use what we like.

The pirates and flesh shapers sound really cool, the creativity they show for the human archetypes is quite impressive.

Thanks for filling me in!

The drugs is where the rubber really hits the road in that book, though. Also, Glorifying Acts - running around ripping people's spines out Predator-style is now an awesome pasttime for Khornates.

The drugs were loads of fun to write. Sweep is easily my fav. There’s something so insidious about a drug that cures addiction yet it itself is highly addictive!

And for the record, the most recent Chaos Codex has re-jigged Dark Apostles as being from any Legion/Warband, and they can be aligned to whomever they want. The Word Bearers have the most however.

BYE

H.B.M.C. said:

The drugs were loads of fun to write. Sweep is easily my fav. There’s something so insidious about a drug that cures addiction yet it itself is highly addictive!

I think the one that gives you unnatural strength and toughness 5, Barrage, is kind of impressive…

There's a Nurgle-devoted Chem Hunter in a game I'm playing in who is a terrifying juiced-up killer.

H.B.M.C. said:

And for the record, the most recent Chaos Codex has re-jigged Dark Apostles as being from any Legion/Warband, and they can be aligned to whomever they want. The Word Bearers have the most however.

which makes more sense given they're an… evolution of the Chaplain corps of the space marine legions.

Terraneaux said:

I think the one that gives you unnatural strength and toughness 5, Barrage, is kind of impressive…

H.B.M.C. said:

Terraneaux said:

Barrage is certainly a potent drug, but don't forget that the after effects are brutal (and permanant!).

Temporary in my copy. And if you've got the Mark of Nurgle, you're immune to the stunning, which is the worst of it…

The only legion that should not have Dark Apostoles is the World Eaters since they killed them and Librarians of their legion before devoting themselves to Khorne.

signoftheserpent said:

Do we know what worlds will be featured in Tome of Excess? What factions or planets?

Might as well answer your original question, mate. It includes the following planets/places: Contrition, Ghibelline, Malignia, Mammon, Melancholia, The Gates of Moment, The Forbidden Portal, and The Islands of the Ragged Helix.

There's a brief description of most of these places in the core rulebook.

That last location, and the oh-so decadent Pirate Princes there, gets a particularly lengthy write-up, and is the setting for the included adventure.

Cheers,

- V.

Terraneaux said:

Barrage is certainly a potent drug, but don't forget that the after effects are brutal (and permanant!).

All the better to feed this drug to your prey, get them hooked and coming back for more...Addictrix, indeed!

Edited by Illithidelderbrain