New player. Need help

By mourelle, in Dust Warfare

Hi guys, Im a old wargamer and actually I play a lot of skirmish games so I miss an "army based" wargame but I hate warhammer 40k!
I just start looking further about Dust Warfare and I just bought the pdf rulebook, looks like as a nice game and I really liked the models, I just cant make my army choice.

I dont want a full infantry army so Im looking for an army wich use a mix of walkers (or tanks) + Air support + Infantry. My game group is competitive so I think I need something competitive too, which faction can use an mixed army list and be competitive? ( I just want to avoid lists specialized around one type of unit only)

All of the factions can use a variety of units and play styles to win.

I'll take a stab at interpreting Dakkon as meaning that you should specify more narrowly what particular play style you want. Each faction does indeed supply combined arms and air power. The differences are, simply put: The Axis has lightning fast ground assault troops and lots of walkers. The Allies have mor varied walker armament and heavily-armored fast jump troops. The SSU features slower and universally solid troops without heavy troopers, buit featuring some of the most nasty and heavy walkers and even tanks; in addition, the SSU can get transport helicopters to make their troops faster (they're supposed to be able to get attack helicopters, too, but I haven't seen a single model made available for purchase. Ever).

thank you guys. I know I didnt explained enough about what I want but its because Im really unsure about how each army runs, I bought the pdf and I read it already but its difficulty to learn whitout some demos (we havent any Dust player at my game group, we are just starting together).

I like to play with aggressive and mobile armies and I hate armies wich evolve around one kind of unit only (all infantry or all tanks). Im just trying to figure what to buy before I put my order ( because I always buy a lot of models and in the end I dont use everything).

Maybe I just need more time to read the faction sections at our forum, thanks guys.

mourelle said:

thank you guys. I know I didnt explained enough about what I want but its because Im really unsure about how each army runs, I bought the pdf and I read it already but its difficulty to learn whitout some demos (we havent any Dust player at my game group, we are just starting together).

I like to play with aggressive and mobile armies and I hate armies wich evolve around one kind of unit only (all infantry or all tanks). Im just trying to figure what to buy before I put my order ( because I always buy a lot of models and in the end I dont use everything).

Maybe I just need more time to read the faction sections at our forum, thanks guys.

Agrressive? Mobile?

Allies.

Or the Germans. Aggressive and mobile define the Kampfaffen and the Zombies, particularly with their troop carrier (the 'Zombie Clown Car'). And the MkIII walker with dual flamers makes a perfect monster to walk a unit of zombies behind as it cruises towards the enemy. Backing them up with schwerer truppen - lasers and Fliegerschrek (yeah, I know they call it Fleigerfaust. **** retarded French Tactics designers wouldn't know German if it bit them. They just thought they'd be 'clever' and alliterative) - and you've got a **** aggressive and mobile army. Add a Horten fighter if you really want to get nasty.

Allies have Jump units and Fast units that toss buckets of dice. Arguably the best infantry unit in the game - the Grim Reapers - is an Allied unit, too. Between Air Drop Falling Skies, Bunny Hopper / Duck Hunt, the Allies are really just insane. I recommend them to anyone; especially if you want to play the good guys. :D

Dude the Axis are the good guys in the dust fluff!

Uh huh. Seen Kampfaffen run through mg fire to paste, utterly paste more expensive jump units. Also, don't forget that jump troops can be the best way to get your troops into trouble, threatened by enemy forces, and out of support of their own side.

Warboss Krag said:

Uh huh. Seen Kampfaffen run through mg fire to paste, utterly paste more expensive jump units. Also, don't forget that jump troops can be the best way to get your troops into trouble, threatened by enemy forces, and out of support of their own side.

Rolling to hit on Blanks on the Berserk turn with Rhino & Hammers that reaches 15" that can only be reacted to with CC attacks? Yea, Allies are dumb good. Never had the gorillas do much, besides soak up loads of Phaser and Sniper fire before making it to my side.

And there is no "good guys" in Dust. :P Or maybe they all areā€¦

Man, why is it I keep getting the impression that a lot of you guys play against opponents that don't array their squads in mutual support? Said close combat attacks can easily be reacted to by another enemy squad that's within 12" of the squad being close-combat attacked.

Warboss Krag said:

Man, why is it I keep getting the impression that a lot of you guys play against opponents that don't array their squads in mutual support? Said close combat attacks can easily be reacted to by another enemy squad that's within 12" of the squad being close-combat attacked.

Um, no. There are only two circumstances in which a unit can React. 1. An enemy unit begins or end its movement within 12". 2. An enemy unit targets the unit and a Miniature in the target unit is withing 12" of the attacking unit (Yea, there is the "Hit The Dirt" exception).

In other words, if the Hammers move to get within 3" of your Zombies, nobody can React to their movement because of their Jump ability. When the Hammers then decide to Rocket Punch the undead crap out of your Zombies, your nearby unit of Battle Grenadiers cannot React as they were not targeted by an attack.

Check out pg. 34 of the Core Rulebook. Under the Reactions heading, read the first sentence of the second bullet point.

You beat me to it, Mike J.