A question regarding "when you draw a crisis card(s)".

By ShakyJake2, in Battlestar Galactica

Several characters (Adama, Laura Roslin, Gaius Baltar) have special abilities that work with wording along the lines of, "when you draw a crisis card", allowing various effects. Does this mean whenever a crisis card is drawn by the players collectively? Or only when these characters are themselves physically drawing the card as the active player? Balance-wise, Laura Roslin would seem like a horrible character to play if it only allowed her special ability on her own turn. Conversely, if these abilities basically worked on every crisis skill check, a character like Baltar would seem to be very powerful by being able to gain many more cards to play during a round than the other players would, even if he starts with only four on his active turn. So, which is it? Thanks!

Only when these characters are themselves physically drawing the card as the active player!

That´s the way I, and my group, play…

TECNAUTA said:

Only when these characters are themselves physically drawing the card as the active player!

That´s the way I, and my group, play…

That's how I play as well. I like Roslin's draw two, pick one. It greatly increases your chances of getting jump prep or avoiding a nasty cylon activation.

This issue came up IRL recently, and the wording of the cards made it pretty simpe. In fact, there was a wording that I never understood why it existed until it came up.

Roslyn, when SHE draws a crisis card, draw two, picks one to resolve. There is a crisis card that lets you draw a new crisis card (after some effect)… so since Roslyn is drawing a crisis card… she again draws two picks one.

Someone's once per game… lets say "Starbuck" but I am not sure, after a crisis card is played they may discard that card - but it specifically says THEY draw the new one! I always thought "what does it matter who flips the card over?" until it she used her OPG on Roslyn's turn. Since STARBUCK drew the card, it was just 1 card, not 2 and resolve 1. Ahh…..

ShakyJake said:

Balance-wise, Laura Roslin would seem like a horrible character to play if it only allowed her special ability on her own turn.

Roslin would be totally OP if she could use her ability on other players' turns. Not sure if you are using Pegasus expansion, but without the means to execute her, an experienced player as Cylon Roslin would never choose to reveal, even brigging her wouldnt stop her, she'd just sit in there and choose horrible Destinations over and over or just deny jump icons.