The Scatter Diagram; Get All the Dice!

By Alekzanter, in Black Crusade Game Masters

I've never cared for the Scatter Diagram. Using a d10 to randomise direction seems…awkward. I know some GMs use a Scatter die (from TT), but it can be a pain getting over the top of a die and/or transfering the "angle" back to the point of origin (paralax crap).

I thought I'd share the method I use. It's quite simple.
For the diagram provided in the Core Rules you roll a d10 for direction (in which two directions each share two numbers on the die…that's just silly, and not equally random), and then a second die for distance (d5 or d10 meters or multiples thereof). I still roll two dice, but one of them is a d12. The direction of attack (the direction the attack is traveling) is 12 o'clock, so there is no need to transfer an angle as when using a Scatter die, and everyone is intimately familiar with a clock and it's divisions (essentially dividing a circle into four quarters, and 12 is evenly divisible by four, ten is not). I feel quite safe in making the following statement: More people can easily and far more quickly divide a circle into twelve equidistant divisions than can divide one into ten. I'm not saying it can't be done, but proof is plainly printed in all five Core Rules books and on every GM screen that shows a d10 cannot do it.

I know they want to limit the die type used (for whatever reason, make it easier to acquire?) but honestly, if I roll 7 on the d12 (7 o'clock) I immediately know which direction that is. Many FLGS CAN order RPG dice sets, and the cheapest run a little more than $5. Having the additional dice is also a benefit…you have three Players and something happens to one of them at random, so do you roll a d10 and someone gets four digits while everyone else gets only three? Again, not equally random. Or do you ignore the ten pip? Ignoring the ten pip means you have to roll the die again if you roll a 10, and wouldn't we all like to reduce the redundant dice rolling in our games?

If you haven't already done so, I recommend you go out today and purchase (see dice, mats and othe accessories here: http://chessex.com/ ) a set of RPG dice that includes the basics: d4, d6, d8, d10, d12, d20.

My guess is that trained soldiers, when they miss they intended targetthey had the range well but wind or any other condition threw the projectile sideway, to represent this both arrows that point side-backward have greater chance than any other direction. So I prefer using it and i don't like an even chance to scatter anyway, but as stated it's just a preference.

When missing a template i make one pretty fast using 1 for front wich make the greater chance arrow (4-5) and (7-8). numbers are rotated but i find it easier to make it that way.