DAYBREAK - THE EXPANSION

By Anacreon, in Battlestar Galactica

I rarely post here anymore, but I have to say I'm thrilled they finally released a third expansion. I wouldn't even mind if this was the last one, I'm happy that we get the missing Cylon Leaders and the end of the story.

I had almost lost hope, but it was worth it to be patient. Now I hope the armed raptors will have cool rules and that Daybreak integrates well with Pegasus and Exodus.

Athena Cylon Leader card pictured and discussed on BGG .

1 Piloting

1 Leadership / Engineering

Set-up: Hanger Deck (Infiltrating)

For Love - Once per turn, when another player must discard 1 or more skill cards (except when discarding down to hit hand limit), you may draw 1 Treachery card to reduce the number of cards he discards by 1.

Resolute - Action: Once per game, activate any undamaged location.

Grieving - When you are in a hazardous location, you cannot draw skill cards during your "Recieve Skills" or "Draw Skills" step.

--

So, Athena probably can fly vipers and can OPG activate a location where she isn't located (cylon location when inflitrated and human location when on a cylon board?) and even in the brig.

So Boomer is a possible human, and Athena is a cylon leader. That's confusing…

Anacreon said:

The new Treachery 4 Reckless Skill Check that sends the current player to the Sickbay seems a bit weak (esp. if the current player is a Cylon), but then all the Treachery cards have tended to seem a bit weak once humans figure out how to avoid the worst of the consequences.

It's not a Reckless Skill Check card. It's just a Skill Check card, so it will resolve when played into a Skill check..

The new article tells a lot about mutiny rules! Really nice indeed. Adds a lot of more suspision to the game… Do you really play that mutiny card? Are you crasy or are you cylon :-)

Gonna love this expansion. A lot more space for politication and table talk!

A little unhappy to see the Attack card in the article, meaning Daybreak has been designed as a stand-alone expansion or at least it isnt designed to be used with the Cylon Fleet board. I guess that means the players who want to use all three will get to spend a lot of time mixing and matching mechanics until we come up with a combination that works.
Zarek as a Military Leader (!) with only mutiny-related abilities seems a bit odd. Getting rid of the Sympathizer card and replacing it with the Mutineer at first glance seems to balance the game in favor of the Humans, but then theres the fact that a lot more people will be spending time in the Brig, which will be pretty brutal for the Humans. Also, if Mutineer is an alternative to Sympathetic Cylon, does that mean that the entire mechanic and all corresponding cards have a very different effect in a 5-player game since there wont be a Mutineer at all? The Mutiny cards themselves look pretty sweet. The new Administration can be abused but its certainly interesting…
I hope there is only a single copy of Exploit a Weakness since the effect is terrible; a Cylon player can play it on his/her turn to screw a skill check AND then send someone to the Brig afterward. Keep the news comin FFG!

Glad to finally see another article! Hopefully this means we'll see more of them in the next few weeks.

It seems like Mutiny cards are a really big part of this expansion, to the point where you'll have to lose a lot to play without them. I like what I've seen of them so far though. I've also noticed that with the characters previewed so far, the new new characters all work independently of the new mechanics, while the alternative characters all seem to work with Daybreak mechanics.

The Treachery cards with just "Skill Check" abilities are good too, Reckless seemed too easy to work around. That Treachery 5 will be pretty brutal though.

Skowza said:

A little unhappy to see the Attack card in the article, meaning Daybreak has been designed as a stand-alone expansion or at least it isnt designed to be used with the Cylon Fleet board. I guess that means the players who want to use all three will get to spend a lot of time mixing and matching mechanics until we come up with a combination that works.

Or… it's being designed to be playable with any combination of previous expansions. With no attack cards, the ratio of crisis cards when not using the CFB would be out of balance. If you're using the CFB, you just need to remove any attacks, which is what you already do with the other sets anyway. There's nothing to suggest that this expansion doesn't work with the CFB.

Skowza said:

Also, if Mutineer is an alternative to Sympathetic Cylon, does that mean that the entire mechanic and all corresponding cards have a very different effect in a 5-player game since there wont be a Mutineer at all?

They've show there's plenty of ways to get Mutiny cards without the Mutineer. The Mutineer is a sympathiser replacement that works with the Mutiny cards, but I think it's clear that you don't need the Mutineer for them to work.

Yeah; I won't be using the new cylon attacks, but I'm willing to sacrifice a few crisis cards if that's what it takes to preserve a mechanic that some people apparently still like.

Speaking of the ever-growing crisis deck, New Zarek (and New Baltar) seems to be a way to ensure that their exciting new mechanic doesn't get drowned out by all the other expansions in non-5-player games. I know of a few other games where they've had this problem, most notably AH's Black Goat expansion, with its fancy cult encounters and corruption cards that one basically never drew. (But if so, that might be bad news for New Lee, who could vary quite a bit in power depending on the number of players.)

Looks like FFG is offering a few (already sold out) events at Gen Con August 15-18 for people to learn and play Daybreak.

Anyone going?

FFG sure is keeping the date of release on the Daybreak expansion a mystery. Anyone know how FFG tends to work with game releases? Do they keep the information to themselves until the very date the game is released? Is it a matter of "It's available now" as opposed to "it will be available next week" or "It will be available on September 1"?

Edited by Anacreon

usually when you see it is shipping count 2 weeks from then. usually.

Looks like FFG is offering a few (already sold out) events at Gen Con August 15-18 for people to learn and play Daybreak.

Anyone going?

I am, planning on playing AGoT but I'll be around for BSG if anyone wants to play a game. Wonder if we should start a thread just for GenCon arrangements.

After reading the rules I have to say I really like what I'm seeing. It looks like FFG is trying to combine the best parts of each of the previous expansions and improve those mechanics. The Motives for CL are a much better approach than the Agendas, the Mutineer looks solid and the fact that they included rules about how to combine the expansions is really nice. I was kind of expecting to have to mix and match pieces of the three over time to figure out what was the most playable, like we did when Exodus came out.

Definitely picking up a copy at GenCon.

First off, the group I play with has logged hundreds of games of BSG and plays with 5-7 people.

Love the new expansion, but I'm worried about power creep especially for the cylons. I've only played one game so far and know some of the cylon victory was luck, but the mutiny cards combined with the new treachery cards made the game almost a cakewalk for the cylons by the end. Being able to brig any human we chose through the use of treachery cards to force the humans to draw that second (or third) dreaded mutiny card made the win anticlimactic and the treachery cards self propagated until the destiny deck was nearly all treachery.

While I understand Demetrius can be very good for the humans as can most of the new expansion and am taking a wait and see approach overall, after the first jump it seemed fairly unlikely the humans would win and they had yet to fail a single skill check. That's just first impressions, I hope they are proved wrong.

Edited by Redclock