The Gremlin

By Wumpscutty, in Talisman Rules Questions

even though we got a really good grib on the rules we still encounter some issues like "THE GREMLIN" (City exp) "Before trying the USE an object, roll a die and follow the instructions" well thats pretty simple.

But when are you USING an object.

Do you USE the MAGIC RING and other objects who gives you a permanent bonus ??

Do you USE a GEM / BAG OF GOLD when cashing it in ??

Do you USE the BAG OF HOLDING / CONCEALED POUCH when storing objects in it ??

Do you USE the SPELLBOOK when gaining spells ??

Its the word USE there the sinner in this case, i can see the point in the gremlin effect when trying the use the ANCIENT ARTIFACT.

But do you have to roll for each item you got, to make it work each turn?

And what if you are using a potion? do you have to roll for those aswell, even though its text says discard to bla bla bla.. is DISCARD and USE the same thing when talking potions? from my point of view you cant get the effect of a potion without using it.

Hope i made myself undestandable.

TALISMAN FTW

ERRATA…

The simple way..

Do you have to roll for each object each turn if you want it to work?

even though we got a really good grib on the rules we still encounter some issues like "THE GREMLIN" (City exp) "Before trying the USE an object, roll a die and follow the instructions" well thats pretty simple.

But when are you USING an object.

Do you USE the MAGIC RING and other objects who gives you a permanent bonus ??

Do you USE a GEM / BAG OF GOLD when cashing it in ??

Do you USE the BAG OF HOLDING / CONCEALED POUCH when storing objects in it ??

Do you USE the SPELLBOOK when gaining spells ??

Its the word USE there the sinner in this case, i can see the point in the gremlin effect when trying the use the ANCIENT ARTIFACT.

But do you have to roll for each item you got, to make it work each turn?

And what if you are using a potion? do you have to roll for those aswell, even though its text says discard to bla bla bla.. is DISCARD and USE the same thing when talking potions? from my point of view you cant get the effect of a potion without using it.

Hope i made myself undestandable.

TALISMAN FTW

Reading the basic Rulebook does not always give you the solution, but always helps. However, the concept of "using" is defined in that rulebook, page 16:

Having and Using Cards

Characters are considered to have anything in their possession,

such as Objects, gold, fate, Followers, and Spells.

When a character implements the ability of a card’s text box,

he is considered to be using the card. Using cards is optional,

and a character may always choose when to use a card he

has. For example, the Cross allows a character to automatically

destroy Spirits without resorting to psychic combat. The

character may choose not to use the Cross and may attack a

given Spirit instead.

Objects that give a permanent bonus (Magic Ring, Bag of Holding) are always used . Gremlin is another example of charming but poorly worded card from the City expansion.

From the Gremlin's text, I get the following hint:

3-4) The Object fails to work during this turn

This means that Objects that you normally consider "always on" shall be tested during your turn and each turn of the other players. If you have the Bag of Holding, you have to roll each turn if you want the Objects to remain stored inside. But you may also decide not to roll, if you have enough room for the Objects without the Bag, or you may ditch surplus Objects.

For Objects that give bonuses like the Magic Ring, if you want the bonus you have to roll. You may also choose not to receive that bonus for the current turn and not roll.

The notion "during this turn" should have been part of the die roll condition of Gremlin, not of an outcome result.

Edited by The_Warlock

Objects that give a permanent bonus (Magic Ring, Bag of Holding) are always used . Gremlin is another example of charming but poorly worded card from the City expansion.

From the Gremlin's text, I get the following hint:

3-4) The Object fails to work during this turn

This means that Objects that you normally consider "always on" shall be tested during your turn and each turn of the other players. If you have the Bag of Holding, you have to roll each turn if you want the Objects to remain stored inside. But you may also decide not to roll, if you have enough room for the Objects without the Bag, or you may ditch surplus Objects.

For Objects that give bonuses like the Magic Ring, if you want the bonus you have to roll. You may also choose not to receive that bonus for the current turn and not roll.

Just had this in a game, we came to the same conclusion regarding "always on" objects that change strength/craft etc, you have to roll on the Gremlin if you want to use the bonus.

We came to a different conclusion regarding the Concealed Pouch/Bag of Holding objects though.

Like you said Warlock (rulebook p.16)

" When a character implements the ability of a card’s text box, he is considered to be using the card."

I'd say the actual implementation of these cards are not constant. They are implemented when you add objects inside them, this is the precise point in time when the card’s text box is put to use. So each time a character reshuffles or adds objects they would have to roll on the Gremlin .

I think this interpretation plays better as well. It felt too weird (flawed!) that a character would have to roll each turn, ie also on each other characters turn.

(Also: Yeay! Back to playing Talisman after what felt like ages of having to do other things :) )