Darth Smeg's House Rules - My solution to running DH with updated rules from Only War and Black Crusade

By Darth Smeg, in Dark Heresy House Rules

There has been many discussions about using the updated rulesets with DH, what the changes are, how a "conversion" might be handled, etc. If I were to start a new cmapaign, with new characters, I'd probably use one of the conversion made by Plushy or Snap_Dragon , but as we're years into out campaign, and nobody wanted to re-make their characters, this is what we ended up doing.

We use OW rules for almost everything, except Psychic Powers (a conversion was too much work). We've retained the Classes and their advance schemes from Dark Heresy, with some modifications to allow for new skills and talents.

As the characters hit Rank 9, we reject Ascension and let these characters instead use all branches of their career trees.

You can find my House rules here, and I welcome comments, suggestions and criticism.

Darth Smeg said:

As the characters hit Rank 9, we reject Ascension and let these characters instead use all branches of their career trees.

You can find my House rules here, and I welcome comments, suggestions and criticism.

Emphasis mine. This is the single best suggestion I have seen as an alternative to Ascension, and my group loves it. We all have wracked ourselves in anxiety for neglecting to take skills or talents that compete for attention. We build our characters a certain way and feel that we have to skimp on more fluff related advances in order to be as potent of acolytes as possible.

This suggestion removed the pressure to min/max acolytes as we feel that with time we'll get to where we want to be, and it heads off the nastiness of power balance issues we see in Ascension. Ave Imperator for that!

Regarding the House Rules (thank you):

1. How do the requisition rules work? (if you can just point me to the sections of different books I can review and how to modify them)
  2. Regarding the character advances, do I just add these to the existing ranks in the DH book?
Edited by PencilBoy99

1. Basically you test against a value to see if you manage to get the item(s) you want. Much like the Inquiry test you roll to find stuff to buy in DH, but now the test IS the purchase, no cash-counting necessary.

The various games have different stats to test against, and varying difficulties.
Rogue Trader has the Aquisition rules using Profit Factor, Ascension uses Requisition rules testing Influence. Deathwatch had Requisitioning of War Gear using your Reputation (and Rank, I believe) while Black Crusade had a similar mechanic I can't recall. Only War also has a similar mechanic, so it really is only Pre-Ascension DH that used the cash system.

2. Yes.