other types of daamonic gear?

By Inquisitor_VonDible, in Black Crusade

quick question: is it possible to bind daemons to other items besides weapons? like armor or an autoquill?

If I remember it correctly, they can also be bound to shields, which is very frustrating for them. I would assume armor and other gear would work, but as far as I remember, there are not rules written for it and possibly harder tests to control it because of the increased rage it would feel.

Anything may be possible, particularly on Q'Sal.

IIRC, one of the novels has a suit of power armour that is home to a daemon. The Iron Warrior that owned it made the mistake of having his slave girl clean it until the day the daemon enticed the slave to put it on (the daemon made it fit her) and used it to slay the IW.

just wondering…one of my BC players has traded several imperial citizens and a few sororitas to the sorcerers of q'sal in the hopes of getting them to forge her a suit of Obsidian Armor. she was wondering if it was at all possible to bind some slaaneshi daemon to it to give her some sort of enhanced dodge or speed ability. i wasn't sure, and considering the extent of her payment (and the hard work it took to get it)…i figured i would consider it. just wasn't sure if anyone had any pre-existing, balanced house rules or DIY rules that i could look at.

The fluff of obsidian armor may mean it isnt feasible or effective, which is a point to consider

In Deathwatch, there is an armour history that provides a bonus to Agility (+10 perhaps), but if the armour gets dirty then the bonus become a penalty until the armour has been cleaned and its Machine Spirit appeased. I may have that all wrong, but the concept is there. If you have Deathwatch, check out armour histories as a source of balancing ideas, and instead of Machine Spirits it could just be spirits (agile lesser warp entities that behave naughty when they don't look all shiny). It is said the Sorcerers of Q'Sal can do (almost) anything…for a price.

Q'Sal is a place where the imagination leads the way, and the weirder the better. Mailboxes with legs that hike to the Post Office every day to pick up the mail and bring it home, pens with hummingbird wings that take dictation…think of the inanimate objects in Who Framed Roger Rabbitt and you'll know what I'm talking about.

I'm suddenly imagining Toon Town as one mind's perception of The Warp, and Eddie Valiant as an 'astrally projecting' psyker.

I've gotten around this by having a daemon bound into an armoured gauntlet just so that it could give certain bonuses even if it was rarely used as a weapon. It has happened in the fluff (the Iron Warriors example above), so there is precident. As a GM, I would likely adjust the rolls for daemonic abilities on the table a bit to ensure it was something useful in a suit of armour rather than just rolling randomly, but I'd probably also make the roll to bind the daemon in the first place a bit harder, and perhaps might make the binding strength a little weaker since the daemon would be both more intimate in a suit of armour and more pissed off that it wasn't able to participate in slaughter as a weapon. Obsidian armour is unlikely, since that stuff is effectively warp null, but Q'Sal does manage to make all sorts of interesting things so that would just drive up the price.

I think it would definitely piss off the daemon more, but that also depends on how you treat the daemon inside. My marine is a Word Bearer, aspiring to become a Dark Apostle, As such, he has made it a point to have a daemon weapon dedicated to each of the four powers. Since his sword is Khornate and his pistol is Tzeentchian, that meant making Nurglese and Slaaneshi gauntlets (since Nurgle is nominally an ally to Khorne, he handles the Khornate sword with the Nurglese gauntlet, likewise between Slaaneshi gauntlet and Tzeentchain pistol). Naturally, the pistol is used to set people on fire from a distance, the sword is appeased by spilling blood, but the two gauntlets are used for more interesting purposes. The Slaaneshi gauntlet is often used in torture and other amusements, effectively having a refluffed nerve-stimulation tines implant on it with which to reward or punish minions, torment or tease prisoners, etc. The Nurglese gauntlet gets used for spreading plagues, throwing blight grenades, inflicting certain creative punishments upon minions, that sort of thing. The daemons aren't happy being bound into gauntlets, but they're not happy being bound into service period. While he is willing to offer them tribute based on what they are, he has no illusions that they are unwilling servants bent to his will who would gladly murder him given the chance, and makes that fact abundantly clear to the daemons that inhabit his gear.

If it helps, the original concept was Darth Vader as a chaos marine, but he's become more fleshed out from there.