Cthulhu… gibbering and drooling?

By Ecclesia Militans, in CoC Rules Discussion

I understand many players of CoC find ‘The Golden Rule’ a unpredictably fun and enlivening thing. As a mature minded player who needed more depth then other games as “Star Wars,” I also very much enjoy the possibility of game rules at times being subservient to card rules. That said, shouldn’t some aspects of the game stay true to the ‘spirit’ of the mythos? This is my main point…

1. Player 1 has Cthulhu in play. Player 2 has Scotophobia and Hastur in play.

2. Player 2 uses Scotophobia on Cthulhu.

4. Cthulhu loses all its Terror icons.

5. Player 2 then plays the Action on Hastur: “Pay 3 to choose a character. That character goes insane.”

7. He chooses my Cthulhu card to go insane.

I mean… really? Shouldn’t the various Hastur ‘madness’ causing card be regulated to Non-Ancient Ones?

I've always felt more attention could be paid to simulating the 'reality' of the Mythos. Lazy design if you ask me. I must admit however that this is a game that also draws upon other non-Mythos sources as well, Pulp being one example. It is somewhat annoying that unique character after unique character gets cranked out with absolutely no relationship to the classic literary source material, as if this game has an unlimited life span. 2 or 4 years down the line when FFG drops this title many will have wished better advantage was taken of the opportunities we had. True this game must do more than retell a story written nearly 90 years ago, it would be a loosing propisition if that was all it did. It's possible to both honor the source material and make a fun game. Regardless I'm hooked and will take what I can get. complice

I'm not sure I understand the issue. The Ancient Ones, Great Old Ones, and Elder Gods are not harmonious. That they work against each other at times and etradimensional science/powers can effect each other sounds perfectly "normal" to me.

This game is based not strictly on the material of Lovecraft but on Chaosiums RPG. That menas we're going to find characters either directly from their written marterials or FFG's own Arkham lines as well as those from Lovecraft and his circle of mythos writers. I also play AGoT (though far less these days) and they have five or six different versions of a number of their unique characters. Every other cycle we get a new copy of one of the dozen or so main characters. These game could easily become that following the desire for only Mythos characters. That said, they stick a couple in here or there. They could certainly plop an extra one or two in per release.

I believe 'the issue' that EC is presenting has nothing to due with the Ancient Ones being harmonious. My understanding of the post was Scotophobia should have had the non-Ancient One limitation because it detracts from the flavor of the game to depict Cthulhu Lord of R'lyeh being afraid of the dark leaving him subseptible to Hastur's ability. I know of no source material that woud suggest this senerio as a possibility except maybe an upcoming episode of Scooby Doo. reir

It's a new faction idea for FFG!

"Those Meddling Kids", a faction that relies on Investigation

Five new unique characters: Scooby, Shaggy, Fred, Velma and Daphne

and a whole host of other characters: the witch, the ghost, the sea monster, the man in the costume (a possible Hastur tie-in)

Don't forget the new items, like: The Mystery Machine, Scooby Snacks

All sorts of events and actions: Hide, Ruh-Roh, Run through lots of doors, Scooby snack buffs, Where are you?, and more!

I'd love to see an Ancient One themed Scooby Doo episode! Maybe the gang could attend an Order of the Silver Twilight recruitment meeting and meet Carl Stanford!

Well Scrappy-Doo is obviously a Mask of Nyarlathotep.

Hybrid said:

I'd love to see an Ancient One themed Scooby Doo episode!

watch the episodes of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. with Professor Hatecraft in them.

Toqtamish said:

Hybrid said:

I'd love to see an Ancient One themed Scooby Doo episode!

watch the episodes of Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. with Professor Hatecraft in them.

http://youtu.be/83GUZovoa-U